Replacing LCD on MacBook???

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by discounteggroll, Aug 6, 2006.

1. discounteggroll macrumors 6502

discounteggroll

ok, so stupid me managed to crack the lcd on my macbook. does anyone know of sites/services that either sell a replacement lcd? if not, does anyone have recommendations of where I can get it replaced? I have only come up with 2 sites that offer a repair service (techrestore for $449 and DTT which has the lcd for $395 or a replacement service for $450)

are there any other options besides those two places?

thanks Mike

2. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

i've known people who have gone through ScreenTek before. i don't know what their prices are. but they DO have the option of a matte finish MB screen, if you didn't want a glossy again.

3. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Don't feel too bad, I scratched mine - then made it worse by trying to fix it. Don't ask...

Anyways, today it's a desktop replacement - but this thread gives me hope that some day I'll be able to replace the LCD for a lot less than Apple would charge. :cool:

4. discounteggroll thread starter macrumors 6502

discounteggroll

xfiftyfour, they're charging ~$425+ just for the part, in addition to s/h and labor

i think im gonna go with techrestore...$450 for overnight service and knowing im getting taken care of. thanks for the info though

any other input before I pull the trigger? Mike

5. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

yeah, like i said, i didn't know their prices at all. i was just offering up another company that i'd heard of.

6. discounteggroll thread starter macrumors 6502

discounteggroll

thanks for the help. anybody else have advice before I send it off to techrestore? thanks, Mike

7. androol macrumors newbie

just opened my screen there's a crack.

Absolutely sucks, because this time I honestly didn't even drop it. But I know that LCD's' aren't covered by the warranty.

Did you ever end up finding a good place to buy? and did you install by yourself?

8. kmarketing macrumors 6502

Hi,

I bought our current macbook pro with a broken screen for $450. I was looking for the cheapest screen possible, and a friend got a glossy one for me for $150 on ebay. It was pretty easy to install myself.

I'm not sure if the same goes for macbooks, but ebay may be a good place.

Good Luck!