Replacing Microsoft Word

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by T-Force, Mar 5, 2004.

1. T-Force macrumors newbie

I was looking for an alternative solution to Word and I found Nisus Writer Express and Think free.
    I'd like to hear opinions from users.

TA

2. redkore macrumors member

It depends what you need to do with your WP. What do you need to do? :)

I've checked out most of the alternatives lately and have found that Word works best. It's fast and (generally) stable, and, for me at least, has important features which I couldn't find in a single package elsewhere.

Try downloading the trial versions. You'll soon know what works best for you.

3. T-Force thread starter macrumors newbie

Stable?

I'm talking about Word V. X, You said it is stable? it crashes every 5 minutes.

4. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

word v.x has been stable for me after office 10.1.5 update. still, word sucks imho, and i'd love it if apple bought the wordperfect and perfected it to apple's standards. i'd buy it instantly. at this time i just need to use indesign, which is quite an overkill most of the time.

word is however quite a must just for opening being able to open any .doc files.

5. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Thats strange. I never had any problems with crashing. I run 10.2.8 and the newest update for Word. The only really annoying thing is that the toolbars are sometimes not refreshed.

If you are looking for a free alternative I would definitly look at OO (OpenOffice)

6. sparky76 macrumors regular

OpenOffice.org looks like the best choice at the moment - it's free, stable and cross-platform, and it reads Word files no problem. Only difficulty is that a native Mac version is some time away, and it has to run in X11 in the meantime.

7. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I don't like the way fonts look in MS Word. It seems like the spacing between words and punctuation is uneven. It's very distracting. I use Open Office 99 percent of the time. I do use Word for printing, though--I've had problems printing with Open Office.

8. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

I'm a pretty heavy word user and I've never had v.X crash or freeze-up. It's ugly to look at, I think, but it works well.

9. ThomasJefferson macrumors 6502

I use ThinkFree on my ibook 600 and it is a bit slow (java) but it aopens all basic word files. Never had a reason to use tables in my word docs so I can can not comment on that level of use. For text docs TF is great. I suspect that with a few more revisions Nisus will once again be an excellent program, but it is just not there right now. MacWorld just reviewed Nisus, check it out and decide for yourself.

I have high hopes for the future of Nisus, but the move to OSX was a punch in the stomach.

10. MictXP macrumors newbie

Well, I am in a writing intensive major at a liberal arts school. Needless to say, I write a lot. I find the question of the WP to be one of my most important questions -- it really does help or hurt the writing process.

I have tried Appleworks, Mariner Write, Mellel, Nisus Express, Open Office, Think Free, and Word. After much testing, I finally found one that I like the most. I generally use Mellel because of the Mac interface and the ease of use. I had to customize the tabs at first, but after doing that, it was great. It doesn't have as many features as Word, but that's a plus for me.

So I would recommend just playing around with different apps. You'll find one that suites you.

11. live4ever macrumors 6502a

I mainly use Word as well and it has been running fine on Panther with the 10.1.5 Office update. I like how it integrates seamlessly with Endnote 7, it sure speeds up my writing with all journal templates included in Endnote.

12. redkore macrumors member

The main problems I had with Mellel were a dramatic slowdown when editing (particularly large paragraphs) and the absence of a Word-like split-screen feature.