Replacing Powerbook G4 Display

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by DickArmAndHarT, Jul 31, 2005.

1. DickArmAndHarT macrumors 6502

After my sad powerbook drop im not searchign for a replacement display. Places like pbfixit.com offer hinge and panel but its close to 800 :eek:
    So because my hinge is fine im looking for just the panel. I know its made by samsung, but i dont know part id's. Does anyone know where i can go to buy it, and does anyone know how difficult it is to remove the case around the display. Im good working on computers. Thanks for your help..

I also found an ebay auction for a used good working condition display pannel and bezel for a buy it now of 400$. Is this a good/better deal then ill find anywhere else. Also i might have a computer shop do the repair. If anyone knows a good mail in repair shop tht might be cheap? Rich

2. tsk macrumors 6502a

tsk

You can find the panels on eBay for something like $3-400. As far as I know that's about the best you can hope to pay. $400 is from what I recall, the top end of what you should pay on eBay.

As far as replacement, that's going to cost you a bunch more. Honestly, I'd guess *at least* $200 more.

PBmedic has a repair guide up that steps you through the process. If you're somewhat competent, it's not that bad. The main thing is having a small jewelers screwdriver for the screws and a torx bit also (these can be bought for less than $5 at sears I think). You also be careful where screws go (just sketch on a piece of paper and place screws in their spot).

If you have to pay someone to do the install, you may be better off parting your PB off on eBay and buying a new unit (you don't say which model it is).

3. DickArmAndHarT thread starter macrumors 6502

Parting my Powerbook! Is that an option. Would it be a huge loss. My bottom casing has bad dents and i have no lcd to sell. Is it still profitable. The Top casing, bezel, hard drive, perfect cond. top casing keyboard ect. Powersupply and audio is good, plus the right panel. How much can you make parting a machine with no lcd and bottom casing?

4. DickArmAndHarT thread starter macrumors 6502

Parting my Powerbook! Is that an option. Would it be a huge loss. My bottom casing has bad dents and i have no lcd to sell. Is it still profitable. The Top casing, bezel, hard drive, perfect cond. top casing keyboard ect. Powersupply and audio is good, plus the right panel. How much can you make parting a machine with no lcd and bottom casing?

5. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

You *probably* won't make much off from it that way...I would say repair it.

6. tsk macrumors 6502a

tsk

I don't know that it can be that profitable, but it depends on exactly what model you have. If you have a 12" 1GHz for instance, that might only be worth about $1k if it was in good shape. Then if you end up spending $400 on the LCD and another maybe $300 on having it installed, you've just spent $700 on a $1k laptop. Whereas you can probably pull out over $300 just parting it out on eBay. If your case is all beat up, well then you probably won't do that well selling the pieces though.