Replacing RAM in a Macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by SuperSnake2012, Jun 25, 2006.

1. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

I was reading a few reviews on the Macbook and they all said it was easy to do. They just mentioned that you have to remove 3 screws and do something with latches. What kind of screws does it use? A Phillips head screw or one of those really tiny ones? I don't know the proper name of the tiny ones but I think I have that screwdriver laying around somewhere. Sorry if this topic looks silly :eek:

I'm referring to the screwdriver in the middle :)

[​IMG]

2. DevilsRejection macrumors regular

worst case scenario is you buy a small set like the one you have pictured above for 5 bux. i've had one for 7 years and it's always useful to have in my desk drawer

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

4. SuperSnake2012 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ah, I think I have one of those lying around the house. I should look for it while I wait for the Macbook :p Thanks :D

5. Jollins macrumors regular

Jollins

Or you could just do what I did and use the tip of a thin kitchen knife :p

6. brbubba macrumors 6502

brbubba

7. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Well, funny thing: I think I actually used a #00, too, when I upgraded the RAM on two MacBooks... we didn't have any screwdrivers and my boss went out and bought one... and as far as I remember I asked him to get a #00...

I guess either will do... but those screws were tiny... very tiny...

8. uchuff macrumors member

Yep, a #00 works great. One thing to note on installing the RAM, a lot of people (myself included) have found you need to push the modules in pretty hard. A good tip would be to swap over one at a time, when you push in the new module first it will probably stick out a bit further than the module on the other side, if so just give it another shove.

In addition to the #00 driver you might want something thin and flat to tuck the shielding that's on the rear of the metal panel back in before you screw things together.