replacing rev a g5 imac hard drive

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by excalibur313, Jan 30, 2007.

1. excalibur313 macrumors 6502a

excalibur313

I want to replace the hard drive of a rev A g5 iMac and I see that currently it has a sata 1.5gb/s hard drive. Could I get away with getting a 3.0gb/s or is it incompatible? Specifically this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822136003 . Thanks for all of your help!

PS- I'm trying to find an enclosure that is firewire but will allow me to hook up the sata drive i take out. Do they really exist? I'm having the most difficult time.

2. MacNtoss macrumors member

Yea it would work. Rev. A iMacs were 1.5 SATA, and 3.0 SATA HDDs are backwards compatible which means it should work.

3. MacNtoss macrumors member

Hey im sorry your having a difficult time, NewEgg is a great place to find your solutions at, but do you want an enclosure to keep it at all times? or do you want to be able to take the HDD out?

4. MacNtoss macrumors member

5. excalibur313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

excalibur313

What do you mean? I thought the enclosures just have screws you remove and then slide out a tray that the hard drive sits on. I wouldn't really be swapping out the hard drive once it is installed in the enclosure. I was looking at newegg but the enclosures that have sata and firewire are 2.5 times more expensive than most others, by companies that i have never heard of, and are very bulky. Thank you so much for your help.

6. MacNtoss macrumors member

You are correct that is an enclosure (i read your post wrong:eek: ) You should really consider a USB 2.0 enclosure(cheaper), what will you need it for? simple tasks like extra storage or demanding tasks like Video Editing where speed is important

7. excalibur313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

excalibur313

Wait, but it only has esata and usb on the back. I'd like something with firewire if possible.

EDIT: sorry, I just saw your previous post. Isn't firewire significantly faster for sustained transfer? I set up an external for someone who had lots of photos on an external and it seemed to be much faster for firewire than usb when accessing the files.

8. MacNtoss macrumors member

You are right FireWire is really much faster than USB, but if you are on a tight budget USB is the way to go.

9. excalibur313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

excalibur313

Right, okay that makes sense. I just saw firewire cases with ata for $30 so I wasn't sure if I was missing something for not being able to find a sata one with the same function for a similar price. Thank you very much for your help!

10. MacNtoss macrumors member

Sorry missed the whole eSATA thing...silly me :)

11. MacNtoss macrumors member

Its what im here for buddy;)
    In the tech world, the faster the more expensive and SATA is somewhat faster than IDE so therefor more expensive, but sorry about that.

12. MacNtoss macrumors member

if you just can't find solutions PM me and ill try to help you tomorrow, but im off to bed now, its past my bedtime:eek: :D