Replacing the 4S battery

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by trvsglr, Feb 24, 2013.

1. macrumors member

trvsglr

I wanted to replace a battery in an iPhone 4s and I see on ebay and amazon decently priced ones. Does anyone know if these are ok to use? I'm wondering if anyone here has replaced their battery with an ebay one and was satisfied?

2. macrumors newbie

Honesty, I would stay away from places like that. Use someplace like ifixit. I ordered my battery from there. I'm not very technical with taking things apart, but I followed their video and had no problems. The battery works just like my battery did when I got the phone. Don't try to take the cheap way out of getting a battery.

3. macrumors 68020

John T

Sound advice. The old adage, "you only get what you pay for" rings very true.

4. macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

As the previous poster said, go for the one on iFixit. A lot of the ones on ebay and cheap ones on amazon are knockoffs and not oem.

5. macrumors 6502

I've fixed well over 70 iPhones. eBay ones are fine, there's zero difference between ifixit and ebay ones. Buy from a reputable seller on ebay and you'll be fine. If paying more will make you feel better about it, then by all means do that.

Notice though, that no one here can name one difference between an ebay and amazon one.

Use iFixit to repair it though. A battery should take no longer than two minutes. Make sure you don't use the pull tab to take the battery out though. Use a good metal spudger to lift it out from the edges since that's where the adhesive is. Start from the side with the volume control and carefully lift up.

6. macrumors 6502

Definetly get a spudger!

7. macrumors 68030

Metal? With a battery? You have to be joking right? Seriously - if that's what you do, stop fixing iPhones before you hurt yourself.

You want to use a ***PLASTIC*** spudger to pry the battery up slowly.

Also - when it comes to batteries - I only ever trust official ones. I've seen too many disaster stories with third party. Ifixit sell OEM batteries. Ones from eBay - who know's what the heck's inside it. Pay more for one you can trust (is it worth rising your iPhone or worse for $10).

8. macrumors 6502

Always use metal. Plastic ones such as they often bend and then break. Also, they tend to change the shape of the battery. I always use it and it works flawlessly.

I've never had a problem with oem batteries from eBay. They are usually half the price of the ifixit ones and work just as well.

9. macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

This 100%

10. iRepairParts, Feb 25, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013

macrumors regular

iRepairParts

You do know that iFixit does not sell all OEM parts right? Its a common misconception. You don't have to take my word for it. You can email support and ask them if their parts are OEM, and they will tell you. I contacted them a while back to ask about their quality and they were straightforward with their answer.

Their parts are high quality replacements, and IMO they are good quality but way over priced. As for their guides and videos, they are amazing and super high-resolution.

Attached Files:

11. thread starter macrumors member

trvsglr

I appreciate all the advice, thank you so much.

12. macrumors 68020

John T

The example of your query to iFixit referred specifically to the iPhones digitiser. Are you sure that all parts supplied are not OEM?

13. macrumors regular

iRepairParts

I was just pointing out the fact that not all of their parts are OEM. And because their support is honest, its always to best ask about the quality of the part if you are concerned.

I am sure that if someone were to ask if their batteries were OEM, they would give you an honest answer.