Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trvsglr

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2009
I wanted to replace a battery in an iPhone 4s and I see on ebay and amazon decently priced ones. Does anyone know if these are ok to use? I'm wondering if anyone here has replaced their battery with an ebay one and was satisfied?

Malindascott

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2012
Honesty, I would stay away from places like that. Use someplace like ifixit. I ordered my battery from there. I'm not very technical with taking things apart, but I followed their video and had no problems. The battery works just like my battery did when I got the phone. Don't try to take the cheap way out of getting a battery.

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
Honesty, I would stay away from places like that. Use someplace like ifixit. I ordered my battery from there. I'm not very technical with taking things apart, but I followed their video and had no problems. The battery works just like my battery did when I got the phone. Don't try to take the cheap way out of getting a battery.

Sound advice. The old adage, "you only get what you pay for" rings very true.

saud0488

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011
I've fixed well over 70 iPhones. eBay ones are fine, there's zero difference between ifixit and ebay ones. Buy from a reputable seller on ebay and you'll be fine. If paying more will make you feel better about it, then by all means do that.

Notice though, that no one here can name one difference between an ebay and amazon one.

Use iFixit to repair it though. A battery should take no longer than two minutes. Make sure you don't use the pull tab to take the battery out though. Use a good metal spudger to lift it out from the edges since that's where the adhesive is. Start from the side with the volume control and carefully lift up.

bryanc28

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2007
Arlington, Va
I've fixed well over 70 iPhones. eBay ones are fine, there's zero difference between ifixit and ebay ones. Buy from a reputable seller on ebay and you'll be fine. If paying more will make you feel better about it, then by all means do that.

Notice though, that no one here can name one difference between an ebay and amazon one.

Use iFixit to repair it though. A battery should take no longer than two minutes. Make sure you don't use the pull tab to take the battery out though. Use a good metal spudger to lift it out from the edges since that's where the adhesive is. Start from the side with the volume control and carefully lift up.

Definetly get a spudger!

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012

Metal? With a battery? You have to be joking right? Seriously - if that's what you do, stop fixing iPhones before you hurt yourself.

You want to use a ***PLASTIC*** spudger to pry the battery up slowly.

Also - when it comes to batteries - I only ever trust official ones. I've seen too many disaster stories with third party. Ifixit sell OEM batteries. Ones from eBay - who know's what the heck's inside it. Pay more for one you can trust (is it worth rising your iPhone or worse for $10).

saud0488

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011
Metal? With a battery? You have to be joking right? Seriously - if that's what you do, stop fixing iPhones before you hurt yourself.

You want to use a ***PLASTIC*** spudger to pry the battery up slowly.

Also - when it comes to batteries - I only ever trust official ones. I've seen too many disaster stories with third party. Ifixit sell OEM batteries. Ones from eBay - who know's what the heck's inside it. Pay more for one you can trust (is it worth rising your iPhone or worse for $10).

Always use metal. Plastic ones such as they often bend and then break. Also, they tend to change the shape of the battery. I always use it and it works flawlessly.

I've never had a problem with oem batteries from eBay. They are usually half the price of the ifixit ones and work just as well.

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago

This 100%

iRepairParts

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
California

You do know that iFixit does not sell all OEM parts right? Its a common misconception. You don't have to take my word for it. You can email support and ask them if their parts are OEM, and they will tell you. I contacted them a while back to ask about their quality and they were straightforward with their answer.

Their parts are high quality replacements, and IMO they are good quality but way over priced. As for their guides and videos, they are amazing and super high-resolution.

Attachments

• ifixitCrop.jpg
    ifixitCrop.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
You do know that iFixit does not sell OEM parts right? Its a common misconception. You don't have to take my word for it. You can email support and ask them if their parts are OEM, and they will tell you. I contacted them a while back to ask about their quality and they were straightforward with their answer.

Their parts are high quality replacements, and IMO they are good quality but way over priced. As for their guides and videos, they are amazing and super high-resolution.

The example of your query to iFixit referred specifically to the iPhones digitiser. Are you sure that all parts supplied are not OEM?

iRepairParts

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
California
The example of your query to iFixit referred specifically to the iPhones digitiser. Are you sure that all parts supplied are not OEM?

I was just pointing out the fact that not all of their parts are OEM. And because their support is honest, its always to best ask about the quality of the part if you are concerned.

I am sure that if someone were to ask if their batteries were OEM, they would give you an honest answer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.