Replacing the finder

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dragula53, Nov 6, 2005.

1. dragula53 macrumors regular

The current version of transparent dock allows you to remove the finder from the dock. you can launch pathfinder at login it quits the finder, and voila, a good finder application with no annoying icon. Then you can install quicksilver and use that instead of spotlight.

Both quicksilver and pathfinder are better applications than spotlight and finder, in my humble opinion.

peace

2. Flying Llama macrumors 6502a

Flying Llama

Quicksilver & Spotlight complement each other. Spotlight indexes all of the files on your HDs and has them available pretty fast. It's a searching tool.
    Quicksilver is more of a launcher/contoller. It launches apps and controls them like itunes or mail using mini workflows. They're both completely different.

Though I think that the Finder is one of the worst apps in OS X, I like Finder better. :)

llama

3. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I've never tried Pathfinder so I can't comment on it. However, Quicksilver is definitely not replacement for Spotlight. I love Quicksilver, and it's a much better application launcher than Spotlight, but it's not really good at search at all.

4. dragula53 thread starter macrumors regular

aye

well, that is mostly what I use spotlight for anyway. to find applications that I don't use often enough to warrant a dock icon or to clutter my desktop.

However, I was just trying to share the excitement in finally being able to use pathfinder without an annoying Finder dock icon there to be accidentally clicked.

5. Flying Llama macrumors 6502a

Flying Llama

Well, in that case, power to you! :) If you like pathfinder, and used spotlight for launching apps, great!
    (this also serves as a nice how-to for future reference!)

llama

6. fayans macrumors 6502a

fayans

How is Path Finder better relative to the default Finder?

And PF doesn't stay in the dock? so as not to be clicked accidentally?

7. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Just a quick tip for those who, like me, use Quicksilver as a launcher and Spotlight for finding documents:
    • Disable search results for Applications under System Preferences/Spotlight

Along with 10.4.3, this has made Spotlight considerably faster for me :)

8. dragula53 thread starter macrumors regular

if you quit finder, the icon stays in the dock, and cannot be removed.

If you want to replace it with Pathfinder as your default browser, you end up with a finder icon at the starting point of your dock no matter what... unless you make it removable with something like transparent dock.

And if any of you have not yet tried Pathfinder, by all means, do so. it puts the OS X finder to shame. It's beautiful.

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Okay, this Path Finder app is legitimately good. Its so much better than Finder that I feel like I'm slumming it by continuing to using Finder.

Dayam. :eek:

10. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

11. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

a lot. it significantly reduced the speed of my powerbook last i used it. i haven't touched it in about a year, but it made my experience much worse. however some of the features are great... i just wish it wasn't quite as sluggish. maybe i'll try it again, maybe they fixed it.

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Okay, I officially love this program. Love.

It was already great by default, but after making adjustments, it is now pure unadulterated sweetness.

FINDER:

CPU = 0% (when not using it)
    Real Memory = 19.80 MB
    Virtual Memory = 151.11 MB

PATH FINDER:

CPU = 0%
    Real Memory = 28.61 MB
    Virtual Memory = 224.58 MB

I have a 1GHz G4 PowerBook with 1.25 GB of RAM. I don't know how these numbers add up or compare, or whether it's supposed to be less than 1.25GB since that's all the RAM I have, but I can tell you that I don't notice any significant difference in speed.

All I know is that MS Windows Explorer had Finder beat (gave more useful info when you needed it, but truthfully, I'm not happy with either), and Path Finder beats both of them by a long shot.

THINGS I LIKE:

1) Spring loaded folders in Finder are nice. However, if you're dragging and dropping, there is a little area in Path Finder where you can temporarily drop a file you want to move (aka: the "DROP STACK"), then you can proceed to the folder of interest, and drag the file from the DROP STACK to that folder. It makes dragging and dropping A LOT better.

2) Column VIEW: Its what I use(d) in FINDER because I like being able to view the parent folder if I'm in a subfolder (which you can't do (well) in LIST view). When using Windows Explorer (*hisssssssss*), I LOVED using LIST view. Now with the path of the folder I'm in easily visible, I can use LIST VIEW, which I like more. :D

3) You can also use a "BRANCHING" organizing system (sorry, don't know what else to call it) like in Windows Explorer where you can see a parent folder, click on it, and view all subfolders and files within that parent directly, all in one window. You can also see the sub-sub-folders and files. Its similar to COLUMN View in Finder, except there aren't different organizing columns to separate the sub-folders from the parent folders.

4) PREVIEWING files is better, especially for Word and text documents. You can actually scroll through documents and read all the text from within PATH FINDER's "preview" window.

5) Use Terminal, convert images, compress and decompress (ie: "zip") folders and files quickly, show invisible files, show package contents......all with one clicks.

6) Much more customizable.

7) All open apps, and all running apps (ie: apps whose window you closed but didn't "QUIT" from completely) are listed on the left side, and you can quit them easily from there.

PATH FINDER just gives you all the info you need. It does everything FINDER does, and more.

Admittedly, I downloaded and loaded some serial key from the internet to use it (I was afraid that I wasn't getting a full version with all the features......sorry :eek: ), but I'll definitely buy version 4.0 when it comes out. It'll have TABS!! The version I just "reviewed" was version 3.2.2.

13. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

all purchases of PathFinder 3.x now include an upgrade to 4.0 when it comes out. so if you want, purchase now and when 4.0 is ready you will get it as well. I am going to try it and see if i like it. the features are nice but i noticed a definite decrease in performance.. it just felt... laggy compared to finder. i'll give it more time though and see.

14. dragula53 thread starter macrumors regular

yeah

it really is good.

I have no vested interest in pathfinder or anything.

Before I could find a way to get rid of the finder icon, I tried all kinds of other dock replacements, and eventually it got out of hand and I went back to finder.

Having a terminal window and process manager built in does rock.

15. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

Thanks for the tip. I been using quicksilver for the past few days, and I really like it. I wish the documentation were better. Now I'll have to look into pathfinder.

16. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

Have you tried the shelf yet? Its the little box to the left called "Drop Stack"
    To copy or move a file, drag it to the shelf, and drag it off
    to paste. This is from the old Nextstep OS, and its waaay better
    than both spring-loaded folders or right-click cut/paste.

That alone is worth it to me.

17. dragula53 thread starter macrumors regular

oh yes

Drop stack is very nice.

Path Finder can be as complex or as simple as you want it to be with simple clicks.

And it has consistent behavior. Finder, unfortunately, does not.

Edit: See here for examples of inconsistent behaviour

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/os/macosx-10.4.ars/9

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

@Fukui: Dude, did you read what I typed at all? That Drop Stack is the first thing I mentioned on my list.

Yeah, I love it. Its the best thing evaar!1!!

However, being able to browse files better and faster is the REAL reason to switch.

19. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

Oops... sorry man.
    Just read the spring loading and then skipped to the next one.. (I'm kinda busy) so I formally apologize.:)

I think that one guy developing pathfinder is taking more time to make sure its a solid peice of work (PF 4) than apple ever did with the finder... its pretty sad!

20. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

how did you guys remove the Finder icon from the dock?

21. Flying Llama macrumors 6502a

Flying Llama

llama :rolleyes:

22. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

ahem. sorry.

i was more or less looking for a free utility, command line utility hack, parameter in Path Finder, something that wouldn't cost me more than the already steep price of Path Finder. removing an icon costs me $8? No thanks, I'd rather just stick to Finder I guess. I was fine with it before, no reason i can't be fine with it now either.

23. dragula53 thread starter macrumors regular

hmm

you only have to run transparentdock once to make finder no longer stick.

24. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Actually, that sort of inconsistency has been resolved into later versions of Tiger, I think. At least, in 10.4.3, I try to reproduce the Spotlight inconsistency arstechnica mentions, but it just doesn't work.

25. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

ah ok, that might be ok then just using the demo or whatever. valid response, i just didn't download it and try it. thanks for clarifying.