Replacing the Hard Drive on a Macbook Pro: What's the degree of difficulty?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by loudguitars, Sep 15, 2006.

1. loudguitars macrumors member

Nov 3, 2004
    I'm debating purchasing a new computer, and it's between a Macbook and a Macbook Pro. Due to the large volume of storage I use, I ask this question: Can you replace the hard drive yourself on a Pro without voiding the Applecare? If you can, how hard is it to get the case open? I'm OK with fiddling with the insides of a computer if the case isn't too hard to open, but I'd also prefer to keep my warranty intact.

If anyone has a link to instructions on how to do this so I can see exactly what's involved, that'd be of great help. Thanks!
  2. mulletman13 macrumors 6502a

Jul 1, 2004
    Los Angeles.
    This will definately void your warranty, but it isn't too hard to replace the hard drive. I don't have a link, but I know there is a site that has dissassembly instructions for most PB/MBP repairs.
  3. ITASOR macrumors 601

Mar 20, 2005
    Oneida, NY
  4. generik macrumors 601

Aug 5, 2005
    Not too hard but it is still hard, there was even one MR member who basically destroyed his MBP's casing doing it. I wouldn't do it myself.
  5. NATO macrumors 68000

Feb 14, 2005
    Northern Ireland
    I'm not sure it would void your warranty, Apple seems to only really take offense if you manage to break something while you're in there. Besides, there's nothing that really proves you took it apart in the first place. Sayin that, I'm not 100% about Apple's stance, so don't take that as gospel, but it seems to be the general consensus given the threads I've read here so far.

It's still not the easiest thing in the world to do, I'm pretty good with electronics etc, and I'd be reluctant to have a stab at my own MBP :p
  6. loudguitars thread starter macrumors member

Nov 3, 2004
    Zoiks, I just looked at the iFixIt page. Nooooo thanks.

Hopefully revision b of the MacBook Pros will incorporate the user-replaceable hard drives in an implementation similar to that in the MacBooks. It's so weird that they'd make the drives in the low-end laptop user-replaceable but not in the high-end one, where you'd think power-users would want more storage.

Thanks for all your help!
  7. OldSkoolNJ macrumors 6502

Jul 10, 2006
    If you ever send it to them and they see that it isnt the hard drive that with it (which they can easily look up through the serial number) they will void your warranty. Unless you did have an apple certified tech do the install and you have the proof that they did. Now if the problem you are submitting the cpu for has nothing to do with the hard drive and they have no reason to check said hard drive then you may be fine. I would, in my opinion, leave well enough alone or CTO it with a larger hard drive. Or just go portable external. I have a case from OWC which is great and runs off of the fire wire alone. So no bulky power cord to lug around.