Replacing the iPad Mini Guts?

Discussion in 'Wasteland' started by christophermdia, Nov 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macrumors 6502a

Sep 28, 2008
    Theoretically, can one gut an iPad 3/4 or iPhone 4/5 and for instance place the A5x/A6X in the iPad Mini? Obviously you would need some serious electrical engineering skills, but I mean what do you think would happen if you popped in the new chip? Would the Mini even boot up and/or recognize the chip? Pinout's should be the same, and iOS is iOS...thoughts?
  2. macrumors 6502a

Sep 13, 2012
  3. macrumors regular

Feb 4, 2008
    If you have the skills... anything is possible but this scenario is very unlikely. At most.. one could design a new housing and put the parts into it but given the time and effort.. would it be worth it? Given the designs of the tiny main boards... I would think that removing parts and soldering them to a different board that wasn't designed to accept a chip of a different size would probably result in failure.
  4. macrumors 603

Oct 5, 2008
  5. macrumors G3

Jul 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Anyone can put the guts in there, but not everyone can make it work correctly afterwards.
  6. macrumors 6502a

Oct 22, 2003
  7. macrumors 601

Sep 21, 2010
    The X variants would never fit; they are physically much larger.

The architecture is also very different. The X variants have an extremely wide 128-bit memory bus, so I imagine the pinout of the chips are different in order to accommodate that bus.

There would probably be heat dissipation issues.

There are probably incompatible chipsets and memory.

The timing crystal would run the X CPU at a slower clock speed.

There are probably many other problems too, but those are most obvious to me.
  8. macrumors 6502a

Mar 8, 2011
  9. macrumors regular

Jun 13, 2010
  10. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    It would likely be easier to get a big Shrinky Dink sheet, wrap the iPad 4 in it, and bake it. If not easier, then just as likely to work.
  11. macrumors 601

Sep 15, 2011
    Vilano Beach, FL
    You'll need one of these precision instruments:

12. macrumors regular

Oct 31, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.