Replacing the Key Lime iBook SE FW's Hard Drive...

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by LimeiBook86, Jul 28, 2002.

1. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

My iBook currently has a 10 GB hard drive, since I read on Apple's site that Jaguar takes up about 3.0 GB, I find it more manditory to change my little iBook's Hard Drive. Since I am planing to become a Commercial Artist, I have noticed that Adobe programs won't shrink in megabites year after year, and that Photoshop images aren't the smallest files in the world, sure I can make them smaller, but I like high quality images. I found a site that tells you exactly how to take your iBook apart and replace its Hard Drive, I just wanted to know if any company can change it for me. Like say if I buy a 40 or 60 GB Hard Drive a can I send it away to Apple or lets say... Mac Res Q for them to swap my drives, and return the old drive of course. I have heard somewhere that Apple is sort of not recomended to change Hard Drives themselves, is that true?. I once took apart my Powerbook Duo 230 and 270c once. But my little iBook... I'm afriad I might break it... And I would never want that to happen. Any ideas guys??? :confused:

2. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

The iBook hard drive is NOT on the user installable parts list. That means, if ANYONE not an AASP or certified tech changes it, you have voided your warranty.

I'd suggest calling an Apple retail store and see if the tech's there will change it for you. If that doesn't work, start calling Apple Authorized Service Providers until you find one that will change it for you.

3. LimeiBook86 thread starter macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

oh

Well Alpha since my warenty is gone, do you think apple can/will change my HD to a different one? And since ur an AASP, do all hard drive powerbooks work in the iBook? I just wanted to know, I didn't want to buy a hard drive and it not fit in my iBook. Now if Apple can't swap the drives, where can I get a screwdriver to open my iBook? I know at radio shack for 8 bucks u can get a set with a T8 and a T10 bit I know one of them opens it, I'm just wondering if I can just get a T8 or T10 screwdriver by itself. I searched Home Depot, they didn't have it. Well as an AASP do u know where to get the screwdrivers. Well Im wastin ur time :D so I'll get going! I was thinkin of getting either a 40 or a 60 GB HD, should I go for and 80??? Oh and do u know any place that sell good HDs at a good price? Thanks, see yah!:cool:

4. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Since it is out of warranty, you could do the drive... just be aware that it isn't as easy as you think, or as easy as it is on any PowerBook (G3 or G4). For the Torx head screwdrivers, try Sears, that's where I picked up mine. :D

Get a drive that is 9.5mm or thinner (that rules out the 60GB drives).

Check out Otherworldcomputing for the hard drive...

Any AASP can swap the drive for you... Just because they can, doesn't mean they will... ;) :D

Send me the hardware (computer and drive) and I would swap it for you (for a fee of course ;) ). Email/PM me if you are interested... :D

5. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

www.pbparts.com has some HD's that will fit in the iBook. Or if you don't want to open the case get a Firewire HD.

6. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

7. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Do NOT get a toshiba hard drive for your Mac laptop... there are good reasons why Apple has moved away from toshiba and switched to all IBM drives for the laptops.

Besides, you can get the IBM drives with a 5400 rpm spindle in the 20GB, 32GB, 40GB and 60GB sizes... Can you get those from toshiba??? :p

Check it all out here.

8. LimeiBook86 thread starter macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Thanks Guys!

Ok Alpha and Spock, thanks a bunch!

I'll talk to Apple about it once I get my new HD.
    If for some reason they won't do it, I'll send it to you. :):cool:

9. LimeiBook86 thread starter macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

I have one!

I have an 80GB FW HD but I want to have more than 10 GB built into my iBook. Thanks anyway... :) :( :rolleyes: :confused: :eek: :p :mad: :eek: :D (hee hee)

10. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

I have a Graphite iBook from the same generation. I looked into upgrading the HD at one time. This is not an operation for the faint of heart. It requires removal of upwards of 30 screws, removing the monitor, essentially field stripping the entire iBook and hoping you can get it all back together again. I have been told that the operation is sufficiently complex that they don't even let authorized service centers do it. If your iBook is going to get a new HD in an officially approved way, it's going to take a trip to Cupertino.

11. LimeiBook86 thread starter macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

ok...

thats less encouraging... I hope they could do it at an Apple Store near me or maybe a CompUSA (I doubt it)

12. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Don't bother with [in]CompUSA for it... If they even say that they can do it, chances are they will just send it to either a local AASP or ship it to Apple. The Apple Store is a better bet.

13. LimeiBook86 thread starter macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Okey Dokey

As soon as my brithday passes (september 23) I'll see how much $$$ I have and see what I can get, I think I want to get the FUJI 30 GB HD, it looks good!:cool:

14. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

For what reason should you not get a toshiba HD? From what I've heard, they're pretty good...

Anyways, I swapped out the original 3gb HD in my blueberry iBook for a 20gb HD... It worked fine. this page has useful instructions for changing the HD... Good luck

15. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I have seen too many of the Toshiba drives develop issues that the IBM drives never do (same issues that is).

I replaced the original Toshiba drive in my first TiBook with an IBM drive and saw a performance boost (5400 rpm IBM drive, 4200 rpm Toshiba drive).

Something that should be a good indication of drive reliability is the fact that Apple has switched from Toshiba to IBM for it's laptop drives.