Replacing the sensor bar with candles

Discussion in 'Games' started by djstarrock, Dec 28, 2006.

1. djstarrock macrumors 6502a

djstarrock

Hi I just discovered that you can replace the sensor bar with candles its pretty cool.

2. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Hell, if you lived on Tatooine, you could use the suns :D

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yea well I heard if you live on a place with 2 suns that you don't need a sensor bar!

jus' being silly in a silly thead.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So the sensor bar is something you have to plug into the back of the Wii and put in front of the TV to make the Wiimote work? I mean, assuming you don't have a candle or two suns? ;)

5. bowens macrumors 6502a

bowens

It is used for pointing only. It sits on top (or below) of your tv and has 2 infrared lights. The Wii Remote sees the lights and knows where it is relative to the tv. It then sends that info back to the wii via Blutooth.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ahhh, so that explains all the issues with Christmas trees messing up the Wii. I wonder, if it's just looking for something bright, why it doesn't use the TV? Because it wouldn't work for projectors? But it seems like it ought to.

7. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Good point.

But I guess everyday really is a school day, I didn't know thats all the sensor bar was for, I thought it actually picked up the movements. Shows what I know... :rolleyes:

8. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I had a one candle below my sensor bar and the Wii picked it up as a 3rd dot in the sensitivity settings.

<]=)

9. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Think about it, if the TV's backlight worked... your Wiimote would be pretty messed up picking the TV's light and the sensor bar...

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I was rather hoping that one would not need a special sensor! ;) Old fashioned light guns like the one I have on my Dreamcast for House of the Dead 2, don't need one!

But then the precision of the Wii is probably a wholly different issue. And also it's essentially capturing position and orientation, whereas a gun only needs one of the two.

11. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

It'd be just as bad as with tree lights - there are more than just 2 IR-emitters (note, IR, not visible light, is needed) on a TV screen