Replacing Video Card in PowerMac G5

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by soloer, May 18, 2005.

1. soloer macrumors 6502a

soloer

Hello all,

I purchased my first G5 tower about a month ago, and just ordered an X800 XT video card to replace the one that came with my system. This is the first Apple non-laptop machine I've owned.

I remember from the last time I upgraded the video card in my PC that I had to jump through hoops, including reinstalling the OS for optimal gains. What is involved in replacing the video card in a PowerMac? Anything other than powering down, taking out the old card, putting in the new card, and powering up? Do I need to do anything driver-related?

I imagine any instructions I get with the card may tell me some of this, but I would like to be prepared :)

Thanks in advance!

2. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

3. soloer thread starter macrumors 6502a

soloer

4. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

The only reason to download drivers would be if you want to use ATI monitor to override graphics settings such as AA. And even then I am not sure you are actualy downloading new drivers.

5. Cuckoo macrumors 6502

I have an old G4-400mhz, and upgraded the video-card, tried both, liked the apple stuff a whole lot better <had some serious weird problems with the ATI drivers>

Based on this experience, i'll say, keep apple's...

6. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

Just use Apple's drivers (does ATI even have drivers up for download?). Apple updates their drivers every OS update eg 10.3.8 10.3.9 10.4 10.4.1 (usually)