replacing vram on ibook 700

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by lmann, Nov 26, 2003.

1. lmann macrumors member

I've bought an ibook 700 mhz, 16MB vram, 20 gig HD. I know that the ibook can't be altered except installing airport card and ram. Is it absolutely impossible to replace the vram card ??

2. AnotherMortal macrumors regular

Yes, the VRAM is soldered onto the board. Even if you unsoldered and replaced the VRAM chips, it would be futile because the GPU probably wouldn't recognize it. If it *did* recognize it, you may need to make changes in the NVRAM in order for the OS it even make use of the extra memory. (Similar to hacking the NVRAM to allow monitor spanning)

Laptops do not yet have video daughtercards that are replaceable. Maybe one day though, they will.

3. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

There are a couple of PC laptops that now let you change out your video cards that are powered by the new Radeon 9600. ATi made a special modular connector for them and higher performance laptops such as Alienware have/are introducing them. So, it is now within the realm of possibility, but not on any of Apple's products.

4. lmann thread starter macrumors member

5. AnotherMortal macrumors regular

By Laptop, I meant Apple :p But I'm not surprised PC laptops lead the market with this, because of the hard-core gamers. Hence, Alienware's envolvement :)

6. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

The level of hardware customization is something that Apple does lack in comparison to the PC platform. It's one of the few things I miss about having a PC since building one yourself and having it built to suite your taste and personality is the most enjoyable part of the PC experience.

7. AnotherMortal macrumors regular

There is an enjoyable part to using a PC?:p
    I've gotten used to NOT having to find drivers for everything.

8. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Well, I always enjoyed peeling off those damn "Designed for WindowsXX" stickers and then tossing in my Linux CDs :) Getting my hardware to work under Linux, and setting up KDE, etc, was the only "joy" I had using a pc.

9. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

Hehe...

I once went to a Microcenter and asked the sales man if they had any laptops that didn't come covered in stickers...they said no...

10. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

Lack, I think apples are non-customizable would be a better way of putting it.

But back on topic, unfortunatly your stuck with the token 16mb of vram.

11. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

LoL, yeah and amd laptops are very customizeable.