Replay TV effect on Apple device?

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by mcrain, May 6, 2002.

1. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Hey y'all! Beautiful rainy morning here in the midwest.

I'm not sure if this is at all signifcant, but there was a story on Friday's screensavers (I'll see about a link after I type this, and edit it in) [no link there, I'll check another source] {http://biz.yahoo.com/bizwk/020206/lmfxypzzmsbm1jxxjoa0zg_2.html -- unfortunately, this link doesn't have info on the recent court order requiring eavesdropping on user habits} about a recent court order in a lawsuit against the makers of replay Tv.

Apparently, the court has ordered that replay TV make all of their boxes send information on everything its users do because of the existance of an ethernet port on the box.

The reason I think this is significant, is that the ethernet port allows a user to record a tv show and then transmit it to another users Replay TV box, thus potentially violating all sorts of copyright laws.

There have been rumors (Help me out here Arn :) ) that Apple intended to release a digital lifestyle device (Tivo type device possibly). If that happened, that might be the type of device that would require the bandwith of a Firewire 2 connection.

Unfortunately, the court's order discussed above may be a sign of things not to come. If the movie companies and song companies can shut down internet radio, Napster, Replay TV, etc... they certainly won't be happy about a "digital lifestyle device" from apple that has Firewire 2 connectivity.

Again, I have no idea whether this is relevant, if Apple really has a Tivo type device in the works, or anything else, I'm just connecting the dots between various threads and things I've heard elsewhere.

(Did you notice in the link above that Microsoft and Time Warner are scrambling to build a Tivo like box ---> boo hiss)

2. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Man, I can't hardly understand what you wrote but...

I know there are laws in the US against some internet activity but I can have my internet radio here in my country or not?

I would like to know what are the Official Internet Laws that every one have to obey no matter where you are.

3. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

Well, if the music industry has its way, no you will no longer have internet radio.

They got a law passed requiring (in addition to the fees a normal radio station pays), that internet radio pay a fee for every song per user! Millions upon millions of dollars. If this is enforced, most, if not all, internet radio will go down.

4. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/tech/news/1397467

I found this link on the recent order requiring SonicBlue to spy on its users of the Replay TV 4000.

I only think this may be relevant if Apple is considering a Tivo like device of some sort (with Firewire 2 speeds?) Pure speculation on my part, but that's half the fun.

5. willmore macrumors newbie

Re: Replay TV effect on Apple device?

What are you talking about? UltimateTV WAS a TiVo-like device, that did most things TiVo did (plus record multiple programs at once). The only thing it DIDN'T do was run TiVo, which is run on Linux. Would it be that hard to modify UltimateTV to concentrate on Time Warner content? Heck no. Would they consider it? I think so. The only problem is that UltimateTV's dev crew has all gone to XBox, as Microsoft stopped developing UltimateTV due to poor sales.