reply to those who answered

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by The New Guy, Feb 23, 2004.

1. The New Guy macrumors newbie

Sorry guys if i offended with the title or broke a rule....i fixed the title. Anyway, i tried to boot from disk and the disk is the wrong disk set that i had gotten. So now i need to know how to bypass the password/username at start-up. Command + s doesn't seem to work or : Command S, cntrl S, cntrl s, or any of the above. I would appreciate any help you could give.

2. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

you fixed the title!!!good job :D :confused: what the heck does that mean..
    anyways i think you have forgotten your password and you dont have the correct disk....heres what you should do...
    reboot the machine in single user mode. hold down command(the key with apple) and s..it would and should definitely work for you to go ahead...this would get you in text only mode.

at the command prompt, write 'mount -uw' without the '. then write 'Systemstarter' this would start netinfomanager. a bunch of stuff wd fly be. at last you wd see a message 'system started'. hit return, you wd get the command prompt again.
    if you know the user name write 'passwd user--' user wd be the short user name of your account.now you will be asked for password , type it , u wont be able to see what u r typing, so just hit return, i think it wd ask twice. anyways after this just write 'reboot'. u r set.
    if you have forgotten the short username too, then at the prompt write 'niutil -list . /users' and hit return, it wd tell u all hte accounts.
    cheers

3. The New Guy thread starter macrumors newbie

abhishekit....thank you for your reply but i have tried the command (apple button) + s but this does not seem to work.
    i'm not to sure if i have been doing it right or not, but i've tried it numorous times. is this the same procedure for all apples (powerbooks)???????????is this the only way around the password screen without the right disks????

4. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

well i know it works for os x. are you running something older?
    just press reboot , hold down cmd and 's' untill it restarts and u see a black screen, u will see the gray screen with apple icon first, but dont release the buttons till u get the black screen and the command prompt..
    sorry man, but thats the oly way as far as i know..
    try one more time..and i hope it wd work..

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If it's OS 9, you'll need to boot off a CD or another drive and go in and drag the preference file out onto the desktop -- (can't remember which files, multiuser prefs maybe).

Though there may be a password store elsewhere.

But usually telling people what machine and OS you are using does help.

6. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

I think he mentionned it was System 7 on a 3400c PBook in a previous thread.

Is this so, The New Guy? This could be important info.

(how 'bout changin the thread title to "[Lost Password] Need help booting my 3400c"?)

7. The New Guy thread starter macrumors newbie

once again i'm sorry guys. changed the thread, again. This is why I chose my name(The New Guy)......... new at this

the comp is a mac powerbook 3400c...
    the OS...????? it says (when it boots up) " MAC OS "
    thats all it says no number to go with it
    example:OS 7,OS 8 and so on...

it does say when i try to use the disks that came with it that the version on the disk is older than the version installed and that i need to use a version greater than 7.1.......if this helps

also for 3 days now i have tried booting up and pressing/holding the command/apple + s and nothing happens i don't understand it...everyone says that this should work and that i should get into single user mode to disable the passwd. i have tried holding these keys when i turn the comp on and tried pressing the keys at different times during boot up and still nothing.
    Is there anything else i can do????????

8. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

This probably the old Apple Firmware password software. If it is, I know of absolutely no way to bypass this since it is not at the OS level, its actually in the Firmware...

9. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

We're not trying to bug you, just helping you get help! ;)

A good explicit thread title has a greater chance of attracting people who could help...

Oh, and welcome to the community. Hope your problem works out.

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

It's and old world ROM-in-ROM machine, none of the new OF tricks (like password).

---

You need a bootable OS 8 or 9 CD...

You need to boot off this CD and kill the prefs for multi-user.

This is the method people used to get past the multi-user password system, one of the reasons it was never very secure.

---

If the person who owned this machine used a boot block password system, I don't think it'll be easy to get around.

Most likely it's just a multi-user enabled password and nothing fancy.