Report Card

Discussion in 'Community' started by dotdotdot, Mar 30, 2005.

1. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

OK so I got my school report card today...

B, B, B, C, C+, B

AND a PowerBook has slipped away... :mad:

I now have to wait until JANUARY 2006 until I get a PowerBook/Any Mac... unless my parents give in.

Yep, my previous report cards were: A, A, A, A, A, A (school doesnt give A+s)

SO what to do... I mean its clearly written on the front flap 'these grades are not meant to use for punishment'

2. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Oh well, that's life. Either pull up your grades, or get a part-time job and start saving up so you can buy one on your own.

Edit: I didn't see your sig. You're 13, huh. Like the other posters below said, grades aren't everything. The fact that your parents offered to buy you a PowerBook for good grades means you're damn lucky. I didn't get anything if I get good grades, except maybe $20 here and there. Maybe you can save up for a Mac mini. $500 isn't that alot, I saved up $700 when I was 10 or so, to buy a Philips CD-i (I ultimately didn't buy it, thank god!) :)

3. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Getting a Powerbook for good grades can hardly be considered punishment... you're a lucky kid. If I were you, I would get good grades, or forget about the Powerbook.
    You know you really can't put any of this on your mom and pop...
    Those grades don't really seem to live up to your 13-year-old prodigy tag.

I did the same stuff in high school. I dropped from a 3.8 student to about a 2.0 student... Except for one quarter where I got a 3.9, but that was because my girlfriend gave me some incentives to get good grades... heh.
    Ahh, high school.

4. Sauron's Master macrumors regular

If you're a 'prodigy' in middle school (since you're 13...), you should be getting a 4.0 anyways even if you couldn't care less and didn't try.

Either that or stop disgracing the prodigy label.

And one more thing, the more good grades you get, the higher expectations so expect less positive and more negative reinforcement in the future.

Finally, I'll give the mandatory disclaimer when the whole topic of GPA is being discussed; grades are not the measure of intelligence nor is it a measure of an individual's worth, and it's also not an indicator of future income or success. Nor is a prodigy label.

Have fun.

5. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

High school grades are used to get into college.
    College grades are used to get into graduate school and/or land a job.
    No one will ever care about your middle school grades unless you want to join the FBI or NSA or a similar organization.

Bottom line: don't sweat it.

6. Sauron's Master macrumors regular

Private high schools will care come application time.

7. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, they're it. Why the heck would the FBI or whoever care, they're just another employer (who pays pretty bad).

BEN

8. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Sorry to hear it, but it sounds like you had a deal with your folks, and a deal's a deal. Consider yourself fortunate that they were willing to offer you a deal in the first place; my folks expected me to work my butt off just because they told me to. First time I got ANY sort of big gift was when I graduated high school... I got an IBM PC XT with 640 KB of RAM, a 5.25" floppy drive, 20 MB HD, and a Hercules monochrome monitor. That, and the car my dad bought for me to use when I went to college (and which I had to give to my sister when I bought my own car), are the biggest gifts they ever gave me... aside from the more valuable good upbringing I received. Everything else I have, I earned for myself.

So, get back to work. Get good grades, earn your Powerbook. In the long run, you'll find that things you earn for yourself are much more valuable than things you are given as gifts.

9. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

hehe, I got an F, D+, B+, B-, C+. I'm not lazy (maybe a little), I just hate doing school work. (BTW, the F was in Chemistry).

10. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

My parents would have been very pleased with grades like that. Did they expect straight A's before purchasing your PowerBook? Don't you have another grade report this year to pull up your grades and still get PowerBook?

11. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Grades aren't everything. Parents really should encourage their children to play sports, learn music and be well-rounded students in general.

12. Etrain macrumors 6502

Etrain

Dude, don't worry about it. I got C's and D's in HS and now I am a junior in college with a 3.6 GPA and a member of a business honors society. Grades don't really show anything. I would not consider myself extremely smart, and not smart enough to be in a honors society, but I know how to work the system. Let it be known, buying coffee for your professors and kissing their ass WILL get you on the deans list! Let the suckers study, I suck up! :) In my 3 years at college I have managed to get grades curved, retake many tests and even 4 professors have given me the final before the day of the test so I could breeze through. Trust me, knowing how the system works and how to work it to your advantage is much more important than what you got the C's in. Learn how people operate and you will be surprised what people will do for you. :D

This same concept can be used on your parents. I bet you can get your PB withouth straight A's if you play your hand right. Get some brown on your nose.

13. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

14. Sauron's Master macrumors regular

...somehow college professors have no ethics and are willing to let you essentially cheat on a test just because you 'bought coffee for them.'

Either that's complete bs or the college you attend is complete bs.

You should really learn how truly intelligent and manipulative people operate before lying. It really does help...

15. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Seriously. Someday he's going to run into someone like me who doesn't respect sucking up at all (in fact, I will punish you for it), and he's gonna crash and burn.

Dot³, don't listen to that mess. Study, get good grades, earn your Powerbook. You'll be better off in the long run.

16. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Mine didn't. I changed cities and schools between sophomore and junior years, due to some not-so-fun domestic issues. Private school to private school. I passed the aptitude test with flying colors; and it didn't matter to them that my grade average for the first two years was around 79%. During my last two years, however, my average was around 94%, but I suspect that the change in environment helped greatly.

17. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

The FBI goes back and interviews just about anyone you ever knew, including your first grade teacher. Or so they said in the tour. But no, I've never known a government agent to lie about anything, ever, they're so trustworthy :rolleyes:

18. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

one of my friends has an internship offer from the CIA, they came here and interviewed me and a bunch of his friends but I doubt his whole line of teachers ... yeah its an intern but they spent quite a bit of money on the interviewing process it seems but they've toned it down in recent years and don't only take the straight by the books kinda guys ... ie never done nothing types

19. Sauron's Master macrumors regular

Most private secondary schools consider grades as a weighing factor in admissions decisions. That being said, it doesn't say anything about how selective individual private schools may be or how much more the standardized testing is weighted.

20. garybUK Guest

garybUK

I think its completely wrong for a parent to dangle a very expensive incentive like a carrot in front of children to get good marks at school.

I NEVER got anything from any of my parents evenings & marks until I got my GCSE results, that was a meal and a DVD. My freinds were the same. Encouragement should be done throughout the school year and not when reports come out.

wow what a materialistic culture we live in.

21. Etrain macrumors 6502

Etrain

I was not lying. It's not the college that is bs either, it is the profs. It was their choice to help me in the fasion they did. I just took it and smiled. :D

22. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Agreed. Granted, I'll admit I got intermittent rewards for doing well in school, but it was never a "get good marks and you can have this toy" sort of thing. They just rather happened. My grandparents quite literally surprised me with a SNES when I managed to bring home straight A's for the first time, but I wasn't expecting it.

That being said, it's hard to instill in most people, and children especially, the benefits of paying attention in school and doing your best, whatever it may be. Even if you just scrape by in high school, there's some college out there somewhere that will take you. Unless you're going into a competitive and specialized field like law or medecine, most employers just want to know you stuck with it long enough to get the sheepskin.

23. Chubypig macrumors 6502

Just out of curiosity, what happened to make your grades go down so much? What classes were you taking? I hope you have good luck bringing them back up and getting a pbook.

24. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

Are you Asian?

Most Asian parents are strict on their children

"A- and below is not acceptable!"

Sometimes, it gets serious! Knew this one student from UC Irvine, and her parents would disown her unless she gets into medical school. Ugh...

Just try to do your best next semester.

latergator116, I hated Chemistry in high school. But now am a chemist! Weird!

25. Balin64 macrumors 6502a

Balin64

You're 13?

Forget it: no PowerBook for you. Not when your grades are slipping: the PB would just distract you from your syudies. You're lucky youy have progressive parents who offered you a Mac. I had to work two summers, and wait two years to buy my first Mac: a Color Classic. I almost cried when I finally opened the box. And by the way, I graduated in the top 10 in a class of 600 in my HIGH SCHOOL. You are two years out of ELEMENTARY school. Stop bothering us with your banal kiddie whimpers. Hit the books, stop posting on MacRumors, and come join us again when you have the semblance of an adult. Damn, some of these children bother me...