Report Claims Beats Acquisition to Bring "Culturally Aware" Managers to Apple, Manage Subscription Music Transition

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 22, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Bringing "culturally aware" managers to Apple is a big part of why Apple is interested in acquiring Beats, according to a new report from TechCrunch.

The piece claims that Jimmy Iovine and Dr. Dre are the big prizes at the company, and that it fits with Tim Cook's recent hiring of high-fashion managers like Angela Ahrendts from Burberry, wearable expert Ben Shaffer from Nike, and Paul Deneve from Yves St. Laurent.

Dre and Iovine have design and marketing savvy from Beats that could be significant for the company, which has struggled somewhat with its marketing efforts since Steve Jobs has passed away.
    In a separate TechCrunch piece, a different reporter says Apple is looking to operate Beats as an external streaming music service to avoid cannibalizing its iTunes download business.

Reportedly, it's not that Apple is worried about losing its 30% cut of song downloads, but Apple launching a streaming music service could decimate the more than $1 billion that iTunes generates for record industry revenues.
    The piece argues that Apple may be looking to grow its streaming business on the side as iTunes music downloads drop, and that the company is looking to "bridge the download and cloud eras gracefully."

It says Apple executives are looking to strike a deal with record labels that would allow the company to sell a subscription music service for $5 per month, half of what Spotify charges, but with a higher cut of revenues.

Supposedly the acquisition will be announced soon, perhaps during Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference keynote on June 2.

Article Link: Report Claims Beats Acquisition to Bring "Culturally Aware" Managers to Apple, Manage Subscription Music Transition

2. macrumors 6502a

:rolleyes: Great I hope we get great design ideas like obnoxious over sized white head phones. That white leather jacket is wicked cool...

3. macrumors 6502a

Dekema2

What does "culturally aware" have to do with products...

I don't think everyone listens to rap, do they? I do a little, but still, there are a lot of genres!

4. macrumors member

Still doesn't make sense. Why not just hire away the managers you want rather than buy the entire company?

They didn't buy Compaq to get Tim Cook.

5. johnnyturbouk, May 22, 2014
    Last edited: May 22, 2014

macrumors demi-god

johnnyturbouk

oh great, loving the way Tim Cooks is piloting Apple to some douche, image obsessed boutique! Damn it, just make magical products and most of us fanboys will be happy :mad:

PS cant wait for the Dr Dre Macbook, featuring the Snoop doggy keyboard - oh please kill me now!
    [​IMG]

6. macrumors 68000

Crosscreek

I will be so culturally aware and cool my brain will explode.

7. macrumors 65816

xmichaelp

Yesss, I've always though Apple needed some swag.

Really though, beats are trash and also trashy. They sounds and look like crap. That isn't culture.

8. macrumors 68030

needfx

9. macrumors member

Does he not ever wear a hat? Just shave that bold spot of yours bro.

10. losthorse, May 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2014

macrumors member

11. macrumors 603

Michaelgtrusa

12. macrumors 6502

Well they do make white and black devices...:D

13. macrumors regular

As much as I dislike the beats stupid headphones , you can't deny that these guys really brought the brand to public awareness

14. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Oh, my brain hurts.

15. macrumors 65816

Eduardo1971

Wow, that is a lot of money for (basically) two people.

16. tommyminahan, May 22, 2014
    Last edited: May 22, 2014

macrumors regular

FTFY
    Does he ever not wear a hat?

--
    Also, Do you think he'll have a hat on when he takes his Apple Executive Headshot?

17. macrumors 6502a

lol how many different version of the same report have we heard already.

So when it's confirmed that it's all BS all along, they can just claim that the deal fell apart?

18. macrumors 603

apolloa

hahaha 'culturally aware' haha, it's like a parent trying to use the internet to be hip with their children hehe.

If there's ONE company that really doesn't need to be 'culturally aware' it's Apple! It's brand is so cool and hip with young people it's crazy.

19. macrumors P6

Peace

What. Was Steve Jobs the only "culturally aware" person at Apple ?

20. macrumors 6502a

chrisbru

I'd fall over laughing if at the start of the WWDC keynote the lights dimmed all the way and then we just hear...

"Caaaaaaaaalifornia looooove"

And then boom, Dre appears.

21. macrumors 6502a

stiligFox

I'm amazed the sheer amount of hate that's going on here.

But then again that's normal before anything big - the iPod was royally hated by MacRumors members when it came out, the whole internet thought that iPad was the stupidest name ever and it was "just a big iPod touch."

Something I've learned is that the more controversial an idea Apple has, the more likely it'll be a good decision :p

22. macrumors 6502a

diddl14

Still hoping this is just decoy for something really, really smart...

23. macrumors demi-god

johnnyturbouk

amen!

lol!

maybe the image they are going for is:

[​IMG]

24. macrumors 6502a

Apparently, pushing a brand that emphasizes style over substance and getting endorsements from mainstream celebrities qualifies as "culturally aware."

God, this makes me sick. :mad:

25. macrumors regular

Does he really sign his name vertically? that picture looks very weird...