Report Ebay Item

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Me1000, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

2. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

This is probably a scam. There is link at the bottom of the item's page for reporting.

3. Me1000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Me1000

4. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Well before reporting it, you [could just ask the seller to clarify the specs by using the link at the left of the page "ask seller a question"

Why automatically assume it is a scam ? Perhaps it was only a typo, or the person who created the listing was confused, or was given an incorrect description to use........ :D

5. danielbriggs macrumors 6502

I think it was put there so people who typed in "G5" would see his listing.

Very naughty
    :)

6. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

ive seen this about 3 times now, and people always just write the seller who (if there are no bids) changes his description...

or puts the question at the bottom of the auction for all to see explaining the mis-labeling.

dont jump the gun on a scam, this really doesnt fit the profile.

it doesnt repeat G5 anywhere in the auction, nor does the description say anything that sounds fishy.

plus, with his level of feedback, its rare.

7. Me1000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Me1000

well i dont think it can be a typo because its says G5 core Duo and Core2Duo

Plus misleading titles are against ebay policy!

8. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Agreed, misleading titles are BAD, but we're all human and make mistakes sometimes :)

Look at it this way, IF it is a typo, you will be wasting your time reporting it as a scam, and possibly create ill will in the process.......

If you ask for clarification and the seller realizes his mistake and corrects the description, then everyone's happy, and you & everyone else who wants to buy it will know exactly what they are buying! What harm can come from that ?

Or are you just one of those people who get some sort of satisfaction from going around needlessly causing problems for other people :confused:

9. Me1000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Me1000

No, i dont, but How can you have a typo when it says 3 different things???
    Besides its already been sent, not much i can do about it now. I hope it was just a waste of my time. Ebay can/will handle it now!

10. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

It's not a typo, but it's not a scam either.

It's deliberate search result manipulation. I've seen this happening with Macs on eBay since the Intels came out back in January. It likely is exactly what it says in the description (a Core 2 Duo), but by putting "G5 Intel Core Duo iMac" in the title they get people who might search for "G5 iMac", "Intel iMac", "Core Duo iMac", etc.

It is directly against eBay's policies to have misleading titles, and you were right to report it. They will sometimes catch stuff like that on their own, but obviously in this case they haven't yet.

11. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

IMO that is a scam.

12. keithbennis macrumors regular

keithbennis

Aw. There are plenty of these on Ebay....... hence, don't buy your Mac's off Ebay. Though I bought 3 off there before without a hassle...... the one I'm on now is from Apple... refurb baby lol.

13. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

:rolleyes:

It's not a scam. It's a way to get more buyers to see his auction. It's probably against eBay policies, but I wouldn't say scam. Scam, IMO, is a plot to try to deceive buyers and take their money, without delivering the product. That's not what this guy is doing. He's adding G5 to get buyers that are looking for a G5 iMac to look at his. Once you actually click on the auction, it's quite clear that it's an Intel machine.

As far as the Core2 versus Core Duo - not everyone is as knowledgable as the users here on MR. If I were interested in buying, I would of course ask for clarification, but my guess is that the guy knows it's an intel, but may not realize there's a difference between Core 2 Duo and Core Duo, and is thus using them interchangeably.