Report: Hundreds of WMDs Found in Iraq

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jun 21, 2006.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

fox news

i'm dying to see how the white house responds to this, as it seems to be santorum's doing (who is down 18 points in his re-election contest).

let us recall what bush said in october 2004 about WMD in iraq:
    so which is it? suddenly claim WMD were there, and maintain that until mid-november? refute the santorum claim? or just be silent and let the fox piece stand?

2. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

Don't forget who invented the Magic Bullet theory.....this isn't a stretch for Santorum.

3. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I don't come here very often any more but I am interested to see how you guys react to this. If these reports play out, am I gonna hear anything (apologies/I was wrong) from the "Bush lied" crowd? I doubt it.

If you're surprised by this news, I feel sorry for you. We all knew they were there. :D

4. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

We might want to know in what conditions and circumstances this cache was found. In proper storage, in a warehouse, underground bunker, buried in a disposal pit or what?

The report does mention that this stuff was rather old.

5. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

1. Degrading weapons do not a chemical weapons program make.

Colin Powell, one month before the war:
    “There can be no doubt that Saddam Hussein has biological weapons and the capability to rapidly produce more, many more…Our conservative estimate is that Iraq today has a stockpile of between 100 and 500 tons of chemical weapons agent. That is enough agent to fill 16,000 battlefield rockets.”

2. I see no way in which this finding qualifies the administration's claim that Iraq was "the most dangerous threat of our time."

3. I see no way in which this justifies Cheney's statement "We don't want the smoking gun to be a mushroom cloud."

If this is the smoking gun, it's electioneering at its worst.

So, I'm not ready to say "I'm wrong" quite yet ... ;)

6. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

7. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

I'm shocked.

Would love to see how this impacts Fox polling re: "Has the United States found WMDs in Iraq?"

Santorum would be mildly entertaining in the video if his politics weren't so vile. Upon hearing that the Defense Department says he's FOS, he says:

:rolleyes:

8. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

fox has yet to update their story with the denial. i'd say they're a little slow over there, but the story went up pretty quickly.

9. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

Of course we knew he had some chemical weapons. We sold them to him.

Proxy wars are fun!

10. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

on the other side of sanity, check out what senator hagel said today on the floor (video available @ link):

11. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Well, according to the link that zim posted, these reports are old news and the weapons are unusable. Was SH disclosing all that he had, of course not. Did he have an ongoing WMD program? Of course not, anyone who believes otherwise is simply an apologist for an illegal and ill-advised war.

12. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I actually thought there were. Doesn't change the fact that we didn't handle this war very well. That we rushed into it too quickly, didn't plan well enough, and don't have any exit strategy. Nor that Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11. Not to mention the fact that we started pulling resources out of Afghanistan before we had finished there. Or that our military is still suffering and unable to probably deal with the real threats if they come up, like NK. Or Iran, who seems to be getting worse because they're afraid of us, and probably rightly so. The administration still lied because they cherry picked the reports that supported their preformed conclusion and ignored what didn't. They made it seem like a "slam dunk", which even if we did find what was there, wouldn't have been accurate. They also couldn't prove a direct threat or that were any actual weapons, just that there might have been the materials. Even that they couldn't do. Meanwhile others actually are and do, yet we do nothing because we're too busy mucking around in the mess we created in Iraq. And their only defense is some vague concept of "freedom".

So now that you know they haven't actually found WMDs, are you going to recant? Or at least admit that, even if the war itself could be justified, it's execution has been abysmal? That we owe more to our troops whom some say they support when they're actually just supporting the war, even at the cost to those troops?

Seriously, I'd like to know.

13. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Isnt that the truth, who was it that gave them to him Rumsfeld? The Republican Spin machine is working overtime and will be till november spinning everything and selling fear. Maybe Rove can get people to start wrapping their homes again in plastic?

14. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

The age of this cache does imply strongly that they were U.S. supplied.

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Have we heard an apology from you yet?

Didn't think so.

Lol... Desperate these days, aren't you? :D :eek: :rolleyes:

16. iGary Guest

iGary

Faith is blind, you know...

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Poor Heb- you must be bummed to find out that this claim was bunk. Of course, we all knew it was. ;) Sorry Heb, you guys can try all you want but- Bush lied.

18. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

It's no wonder he doesn't come in here often anymore...

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Well, it's got to be utterly embarrassing. Bush is an absolute failure as a conservative. Especially when it comes to borrow and spend, and this ridiculous war.

20. tristan macrumors 6502a

Finding WMDs would help with Bush's justification for the war, but not with his mismanagement. Right or wrong (and I'm not convinced of either one yet - there are cases to be made for both arguments), America still has 150,000 of our troops pinned down in the most dangerous real estate on earth with no real exit strategy.

21. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

guess who released the report...

further, note how rumsfeld is playing along:
    what a crock. this is nothing more than a failed (well, heb excluded) scare tactic. this administration does not govern, it merely knows how to get itself elected. and then exploit power for its own ends.

22. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    How would this surprise anyone? I mean, we supported the middle eastern countries with money, weapons, combat training, vehicles, medical training, and so on and so on for many years. There was evidence of Saddam using this **** in the 80's and 90's. I worked with a guy who died from gulf war syndrome. The **** was there, and we knew it.

But to what end? Were they biological? Chemical? Nuclear? What wasn't the government telling us back then? Why is it surfacing now?

Could there be nukes out there? Possibly. There's dozens of suitcase size nukes alone that are missing, especially from the Soviet stockpile. It could be buried anywhere out there for all we know.

But that's the thing. We don't know. We had no right to go into Iraq when more pressing concerns were happening. North Korea has been a nuaghty little bastard of a country for some time. Iran as well. Afghanistan has been hosting Islamic Extremists for quote some time...

So, tell me, Heb, wtf are we doing in Iraq when other threats to the US and other countries are quite real?

23. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

I dont think it has. I find none of this news new.
    Republicans seem to be trying to make some spin out of old news and hoping no one notices.

This story came and went faster then I could read this thread:rolleyes:

24. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

To quote Bill Maher, I'd be a Republican if only they would. That's why I use the term neocon so much. These people are anything but true conservatives, let alone Republicans. As has been said, even if true, wouldn't change the how poorly this war has been executed.

And still no one answer my questions. Sigh. Same thing happened in the thread about Rush and his Macs.

25. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    I was just responding to Heb more than anything. :eek: