Report: Jobs ready to sell Pixar

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by mac-er, Oct 31, 2005.

1. mac-er macrumors 65816

According to this CNN/Money article, Steve Jobs is ready to sell Pixar, for the right price.

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I'll buy Pixar! I've got at least $200, is that enough?

Oh, $5.9 billion? Dang.

3. qzak macrumors 6502

"would want a strong premium to its current $5.9 billion market capitalization to consider a sale"

so I think that's saying the company is worth $5.9 billion, and he would need a nice figure above that to be persuaded to sell?

but steve doesnt really seem to have all that much to do with what goes on at Pixar. like that article slashdot has linked to today, it says he pretty much just finances it (well did until they were able to float on their own), and left the running of the company to someone else. he just seems much more involved with Apple, at least publicly.

4. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Yep -- which makes sense, since he could just sell his shares on the stock exchange for that amount.

5. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Maybe all us MacRumors folks could take up a collection...

6. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I find this a bit surprising, but I'm not too aware of how much involvement Steve has with Pixar anymore. Perhaps he just wants to focus more on Apple, which isn't necessarily a bad thing! :cool:

7. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Maybe he's slowly coming to the realization that what Pixar does is RAPIDLY becoming an industry standard... Dreamworks, Fox, Disney, Sony, and many others have already set up computer animation studios. The age of Pixar's dominance over that field is coming to an end, and computer animation is becoming a commodity.

If I were him, I'd sell while the selling's good... but I'd've probably done it while The Incredibles was still in theatres.

8. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I feel like maybe Steve Jobs knows something we don't... maybe he suspects that that new 'Cars' movie will be a huge flop? And he wants to back out of any correlation to a 'flop' of a business now? Nah... Pixar will never sour. I hope... :p

:edit: Or what clayj said ^^ ... :eek:

9. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yes, yourself andf clayj might be on the right track. The uniqueness and popularity/success of Pixar might be at its peak now, with only one way to go. Perhaps Job recognizes this. I don't know enough about the industry to know whether Pixar will continue to be a huge success or not, but as clayj said, other studios are getting into it as well.

It will be interesting to see if anything actually happens with ths rumor...

10. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Yes... Ed H, where are you?!?! :D

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

My first reaction is shock, surprised. Could just be that with the Intel switch, Steve has decided that he needs to focus more on Apple. If true then we will be the beneficiaries.

12. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Can I be CFO?

I have $3, I think.

$3 will buy me the job of CFO, definitely

13. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Jobs seems to have interest in things only as long as he feels they are innovative - and like you said Pixar is no longer the only studio doing what it does (although it is still arguably the best).

I think Jobs feels that Apple has the potential to really take off and he wants less distractions.

14. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

its seems lately that the soap opera-esque relationship of Disney and Pixar is attached to some sort of yo-yo....

and a lot of the outcome of this current deal seems to be predicated on how well Chicken Run does in the theaters. I also have to wonder if Cars got moved to next Summer because of Chicken Run, it would have been a very competitive Oscar for the Animated Feature category. Although I'm thinking Wallace and Gromit might get one this year.

D

15. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

i dunno, i think he likes being a hollywood mogul as well as a leader in tech..

everyone knows that steve owning pixar gives him a lot of status in the hollywood industry..why would he give that up? besides, it's not like he needs the cash or anything..

16. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I'd vote for it over Pixar's stuff - W&G is the best.

17. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I thought Chicken Run was from a few years back, do you mean Chicken Little? The story of how the sky is falling?

18. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

oops, yeah - chicken little

I just bought Chicken run a couple weeks ago before going to see Wallace and Gromit :D

Still on the brain.

D

19. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

It makes sense because it's hard to imagine that Pixar's value will go too much higher than it is now. Conventional movie industry wisdom has it that they are due (or overdue) for a flop of some kind, or at least a film that only does OK instead of a blockbuster. That kind of box office magic touch can't last forever. Right now Pixar is the darling of the industry, so it makes sense to at least float the idea out there.

The "premium" that Jobs would require seems to be a good indication that in fact he's not strongly interested in selling, but that he would if someone made him an offer that blew him away. Not a bad position to be in.

20. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

The only thing worth buying up at Pixar would be the talents of John Lasseter and his creative team. I see Pixar's days numbered.

21. MacFan782040 macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

I disagree. As long as they go by the same Design team, working on the same general concepts that make people want to see these types of movies (fiction, yet fun) that appeal to all age groups, then I don't see any stopping them.

22. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    There are several reasons to make this announcement
    1) To drive down the stock price to buy more.
    2) He wants the money for something else. (more Apple Stock perhaps)
    3) He wants to give Disney a bone for the help with videos.

23. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I think this is the most likely. As asif said, he certainly doesn't need it for personal reasons, he's already a billionaire. He may be ready for something new, the next NeXT? What if he's thinking about spending all that cash (and more that he could easily get with that kind of cash) on a major music label? Rumors were flying that Apple might attempt to buy Universal a few years ago, maybe he thinks transforming the music industry would be easier from the inside out rather than begging at their throne as he must do now.

24. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I don't know. If they evolve into something else, I think they could do quite well. Even if they don't grow much, they're still one of the leading companies that does what they do.

Maybe Steve wants the money so he can buy Apple Records! :p

25. EricBrian macrumors 6502a

EricBrian

Maybe Disney will buy it. Maybe that was part of the deal with Disney to get access to their TV shows (ABC).