Report rates Boston most expensive city

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by wdlove, Sep 8, 2005.

1. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

2. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

3. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

doh! now i know where all my money goes. in miami i could buy 4 powermacs a year for what i save compared to boston. how much is it in atlanta?

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

You know....while Boston may be the most expensive city in the US to live, their salary may reflect the cost of living.

5. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

THe inflation and speculation costs tend to outstrip expenses as it does everywhere else. It helps that I purchased my house in 1987.

6. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

You're thinking of Manhattan, not New York City as a whole. While the median price of a condo in Manhattan is now over $1 Million, the price of housing in the Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten Island is much lower.

Then again, Boston also has Southie and Roxbury. But I guess the ratio of expensive areas to cheaper areas is much higher in Boston.

7. iGary Guest

iGary

Washington DC $61,440

Basic is right. Consider that you'd need to make 90K to bring that home.

8. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Can't believe that Raleigh beats out Chicago and Miami.

Had to chuckle over this statement:

9. tristan macrumors 6502a

It looks like they're only looking at housing costs.

By the way, the stats for DC are always skewed because the professionals with families mostly live in the suburbs outside the city. My own list would be New York, Boston, San Fran, DC.

10. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Once again I'm proud to be from Boston

. . .. wait a minute ...

This summer while I was there I saw the explosion of condos. They're EVERYWHERE now; people are trying to make condos out of the dumpiest joints. I wonder how long it'll last before it collapses ...

11. ibook30 macrumors 6502a

ibook30

Boston !

Not on point - I know, but my favorite Boston story:

On January 15, 1919 Boston was preparing for prohibition by stock piling mollasses to make booze with.

A molasses tank exploded, flooding the streets with a huge wave of molasses. It killed 21 people, crumpled the steel support of an elevated train, and knocked over a fire station.

For years - on warm days - mollasses would bubble up from the street.

12. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

Thank you, yes, that is a great historical story.

I'm proud to be from Boston also.

I think that it's important to be happy where ever you live, all in the perspective.

13. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

I still love Massachusetts, regardless of how expensive it is to live here.

Condos are going up everywhere - even out her past 495 (I'm in Worcester) condos are selling for upwards of $350K!!

Just an example on the inflation of the housing market here in the state. Our family house was purchased for $68,000 in 1993; now has a retail value of $440,000 (although, the property does have two additional subplots on which houses/condos could be built). Also, our home on Cape Cod (pretty small, 3 bedroom, 1 bath ranch, built in the late 1950s) is appraised at $400,000!! Small house, small lot, but prime location - less then a mile from the beaches.

It's not uncommon to see homes here in the city to retail for over $500,000 - in fact, that's the norm for the majority of new developments.

14. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

The Charles Street Jail is being torn down? made into a hotel, of all things. I would've thought condos :rolleyes:

I so want a house on the Cape, but that's not gonna happen :( Eastham or Truro would be nice ......

15. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

We're in South Yarmouth. Nice area, but getting a little busy with RT 28 and all...

16. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

Finally an excuse for those times when I look in my wallet and can't figure out why I'm broke. Now I want to know how much the gf is actually costing me, or maybe I don't.

17. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

It is really crazy here...the explosion of condos, jeesh. Even MANRAY was torn down for condos (!)

18. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

They're down here too. My once down-to-earth neighborhood is now being condofied, yuppiefied, gentrified, whatever; it's really starting to piss me off.

19. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Thankfully not many condos in my area of MA. ^_^

20. Jesus macrumors 6502

we have a house in Wellfleet, less than half a mile for Newcomb Hollow, and also less than 1/4 of a mile from Gull Pond.

We have had it in the family for 50 years, recently valued at $1.75 million :eek: :eek: :eek:

Jesus

[edit; spelling]

21. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

I go by the old Charles Street Jail once a week. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

22. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

I went by it a few times when I was there this summer. I wish I could've gone in; I wanted to take pictures. I love old buildings, and the Jail is one of the older ones in Boston. Walking around the site, I could see inside some of the windows and see the cell blocks and actual cell doors. They wouldn't have let me in though :(

The back half is used by the Yawkee Outpatient Care Center.

and Buzzy's Roast Beef is gone :( a cop told me they moved somewhere

23. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I moved from the most expensive city in the country to the second most expensive... charming. :rolleyes:

24. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

well, greenspan said the real estate bubble will burst. and some investment bank rated boston as the most endangered place in the us for a collapse. depending on which side you are this is good news or bad news.

another point: with the gas prices going up commuting becomes more expensive. this makes living outside big cities more expensive and therefore keeps house prices in the cities up.

25. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Not just Boston MA's coast is just horrible to live on for price.

My parents went looking at condos just about a mile from our current house and the cheapest one was 800 grand, the most expensive was like 1.5mil+