Report spam don't bump it

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by SilentPanda, Apr 19, 2006.

1. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Why don't people just report spam posts/threads instead of posting "banned" or "zOMG spam!"? All it does it bump the thread again. Just report it and let the mods do their magic. It's just as bad as other web sites where people post "first!".

2. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I agree.

I just posted in another thread... but people should really just use the angry red triangle w/ the exclamation point (!) in it to report bad posts or whatnot.

Attached Files:

3. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

However, if it has been reported, and someone else reads the thread, they no not to report it as it is being taken care of. Besides reading spam is fun to a point.

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Nothing is as bad as that... ZOMG fourth!

5. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I think you might need to find some more hobbies. :D

6. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I don't bump spam, but I always feel like a dibba-dobber using the report button for some reason. Or maybe it's just that I'm sure other people have already reported it. The other thing is that I never know what to write, is "SPAM" enough?

7. SilentPanda thread starter Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Don't worry. I report enough posts for the both of us when I'm bored at work. I'm sure the mods are (mildly) annoyed with me already. :)

I too am curious what mods would like to see in the reported report. I try to be brief in case they get a lot of reports but if there is something I can do to make their jobs easier I'd be all for it.

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

A wire-transfer receipt to a secret bank account in the Cayman Islands?

9. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Why not do a little of both. I would think the perfect solution would be to report the post, then reply to the thread and indicate that the post has been reported.

This should minimize the number of reports for the same post to the mods by letting others know it has already been reported and should minimize the replies since it's already been taken care of.

10. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

True, reading spam can be fun to a point.

But it is best not to encourage it by responding/posting in
    a "spam" thread/post. :)

11. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Oh I agree, my logic was along the lines of: if you post something like reported, other will know not to report it too, and it keeps it on the main page or new posts page for the mods to notice sooner.

12. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I would agree with the policy of adding a simple "reported" to spam threads once the mods have been notified. Makes it easier on a lot of people...other posters don't have to go through the reporting procedure, the mods don't have to wade through mountains of reports, etc. It doesn't really bump the spam very much, as people usually catch things pretty quickly around here...it goes from being the seventh post on the New Posts list back to top...whoopee.

We also have our share of "First Post! OMG!" people around here...our mods just do an amazing job of deleting it. We need to thank them more.

Thank you, mods!! :D

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Simply saying that a thread or post has been reported doesn't mean that it has been reported. Someone could actually use this to bump their post count.

I don't think there have ever been more than 30 reports for 1 errant post, so you can never be too quick to report it.

Say "spam" for spam posts or threads.

Say "duplicate" for duplicate posts and threads and insert the URL of the thread or threads duplicated. They're easier to find with later releases of vBulletin, but not easy over several days of threads.

Say "bumping" when someone is bumping their thread, especially in the Marketplace. Here's an idea for those who create problem threads and bump them within an hour: do some research instead of bumping your problem threads. You might find the answer and learn something, instead of just waiting for a magical answer.

14. bluebomberman macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

Wow. Learn something new every day. I wonder what else these shiny buttons do...

15. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

True, but at least well-known users would know not to do this. At the very least, they'd know that the the thread will soon be wastelanded, and their post along with it.

16. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Sure, but cynical me says that newbie users will do anything to increase their post count. :D

17. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Wasteland is quite possibly the most fun forum here... :eek:

I don't think bumping SPAM is necessarily bad, not if it has been reported and everyone knows it'll soon disappear to that white, cloudy MacRumors in the sky.