Report Urges U.S. to Work On Better Health Coverage

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IJ Reilly, Jan 15, 2004.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-insure15jan15,1,3769198.story

The print edition of this story includes a couple of sidebars not available online. One shows that all of our western competitors spend a much smaller percentage of their GDPs and significantly less per capita then we in the US, and get much better results. Japan for example spends less then half of what we do, per capita, on health care, but their infant mortality rate is less then half of the US and their life expectancy is nearly five years longer.

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Interesting that most industrialized countries spend half the per-capita amount we do, and yet they manage to get everyone covered. And here we are, the self-proclaimed 'greatest nation on the face of the earth' and we can't match those numbers.

3. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I suppose some people will tell us that's precisely what makes America "great."

A companion story, also from today's LA Times:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-retire15jan15,1,1434862.story

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Which will add to the rising costs of Medicare...

Funny thing is, with all the bitching about national health care, to me it looks like we already have it. We don't let people die in the streets despite what some would like. We care for them in the Emergency rooms, we care for them with Medicare, Medicaid. It seems to me the issue is getting it under control and working for the people rather than the corporations.

5. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Hmm, well I've almost given up on Congress making helping people a priority over feathering the beds of the corporations, which is why I stand by my prediction that we'll see moves towards universal health care only after the corporations get weary of dealing with it themselves. Industry already supports the national health care system in Canada because it lowers their cost of doing business, and removes this disruptive issue from labor negotiations.

6. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Speaking as someone w/o healthcare:

I have endometriosis which was discovered in the ER with a $26,000 emergency surgery. Needless to say that $26,000 was written off by all because I couldn't eat if I was going to pay it!

Did I die? Nope. If I had health insurance I would have gone to the doctor when the symptoms started a week earlier. If I had had health insurance I would have had a schedule surgery to remove scar tissue and tumor. There would have been no rush to the emergency room. No emergency surgery (which are more expensive, as I understand it). And you wouldn't be eating it now.

I had a nasty cold back around Thanksgiving. It took me over a month to recover. I probably had a bronchial infection. I waited to see how bad it would get before deciding if I was going to go to the doctor. Had I been able to go immediately I would have recovered much faster.

So you tell me: what is the cost of me not having access to preventive medicine?

Oh, because I do not have children I do not qualify for medicare. Because I'm neither disabled nor elderly I do not qualify for medicade. There is *nothing* availabe to me for medical coverage w/o a group plan or a lot of money.

7. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Will a government plan have doctors equal to those who are involved in HMOs? Better than? Worse than? Equal to or better than those now in private practice?

Will doctors' incomes remain the same; rise, or be reduced?

Access to medical care, regardless of one's income size, is a Good Thing. My primary concern has to do with the quality.

I read too many articles, over the last dozen or so years, about the delays and waiting periods for medical treatment: Canada, England, Germany.

Another question, and I have suspicions but no data, has to do with the demographics of those without medical insurance: How many are among the recent immigrants, whether legal or illegal? Given what's published about the numbers, it seems reasonable they could account for the rising % without medical insurance.

Another group within the percentage of uninsured are those fairly young people in good health and with medium incomes, who wilfully don't spend their money on health insurance.

'Rat

8. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

So where's Frohicky when he can tell somebody face to face that he deserves to die?

9. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Depends on what you mean by "government plan." In Canada, more doctors work for themselves then in the US. Canadians also still have the freedom to choose their own doctors most of us in the US lost with the advent of HMOs. I'm not advocating for anything, just relating a fact.

You should probably ask a doctor how their incomes have been squeezed by HMOs.

This is the rationing argument. Just keep in mind, health care is already rationed in the US by denying it to the sick and working middle class. We may just have to choose between one type of rationing over another.

Yes, young people have a sense of indestructibility. Remember that feeling of immortality? It's part of youth. It wasn't true, of course -- I don't know about you, but I needed plenty of medical attention when I was a kid, including two surgeries.

10. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Frohickey has argued that you deserved to. I want him to come in here and tell you that you deserved to die rather than get treatment. I want to see that.

11. numediaman macrumors 6502a

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Not to be too nit-picky but IIRC, Neserk said something about being female. Thus Frohickey would have to tell her she deserves to die.

13. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly