Reportedly bad processor on FREE PowerPC G5

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by loganb, Sep 16, 2006.

1. loganb macrumors newbie

Sep 16, 2006
    Here's the situation. I'm a PC guy myself, but was recently given a Dual 1.8Ghz PowerPC G5 with 1GB DDR, 80GB HD, Superdrive, OS X 10.4.7 and a few other goodies. When I received the computer, I was told that one of the processor's was dead, and that the machine no longer worked. I got it home and seeing nothing wrong with it after a quick teardown, put it back together and it boots right up. I'm using it currently, and so far have had absolutely no problems with it. My question is how do I determine if there really is something wrong with this computer? I ran a benchmark test on it from xbench, and here is the link for the results:
    Mine is the red one named Moonie's G5

Hardware Overview:

Machine Name: Power Mac G5
    Machine Model: PowerMac7,3
    CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (2.2)
    Number Of CPUs: 2
    CPU Speed: 1.8 GHz
    L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
    Memory: 1 GB
    Bus Speed: 900 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: 5.1.8f7

Power On Self-Test:

Last Run: 9/16/06 11:28 AM
    Result: Passed

Is it possible that there is something wrong with it, or did the person that gave it to me because they thought it was broken just give up a perfectly good G5? Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated, and please remember I'm not incredibly familar with Mac's, I have extensive experience with PC's, but am attempting to learn Macs now.
  2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    It's quite possible that there is nothing wrong with the machine, or that there is an intermittent problem that has nothing to do with a bad processor.

You may simply need to play with it a while and wait for any symptoms. Who knows, maybe something was seated poorly and knocked itself back into place when the machine moved :)

Do you have the diagnostic disc that came with the machine?
  3. loganb thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 16, 2006
    Unfortunately I don't have anything other then the machine. All systems discs and manuals were thrown away by the previous owner.
  4. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    Yeah, or when you took it apart and put it back together. That actually seems pretty likely to me. Congrats on getting what seems to be a great (functional) mac for free!