Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drkknight1978

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2012
This Worked for me...

I have recently aquired an Iphone 5. I've also been experiencing painfully slow connections my Speed test results came out as follows...

Ping 204ms, Download 0.5mbps Upload 0.24mbps.

The funny thing was it seemed to be only happening in the evening.

in the morning i was getting much better results.

What's the difference? i have my desktop (connected by Wifi on in the evening... Switching the computer off and bingo results very reasonable for my broadband ISP.

Now, i want to used my computer and my new phone so have been fishing around. I find that is i close my Bit Torrent Client my speeds ramp right up!

Without Bit Torrent - 42ms/11.8mbps/0.92bps

Hope this helps.

Shaddow825

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2006
On the apple.com discussion forums we've found that this might have something to do with bluetooth. Try turning off bluetooth and seeing if it helps. In my case, everytime I connected to my car bluetooth I couldn't connect to my home network afterwards until I rebooted. After I toggled bluetooth things worked again for me. So I deleted my phone from my car and my car from my phone and repaired everything and I am all good. Others have restored their network speeds by turning bluetooth off. And others who never had bluetooth on at all got better by toggling it on and off. So there seems to be some sort of relationship with it in IOS6.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
i just exchanged my at&t iphone 5 for a verizon one. i had no issues with the at&t one, but the verizon one was choking on my home wifi. speed test wasnt even registering, was stuck at testing ping. apps were downloading SLOW but sometimes stalling. a hard reboot fixed it. thank god, thought i had a dud.

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
My test

When I get mine I will be able to tell by myself... :D

speed.PNG

I think this is more than acceptable.

Deako

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2010
United Kingdom
So in the end I setup am unencrypted wifi network at home. Tied down with mac filtering and a hidden ssid. Now this has also reverted to running slow on my iPhone 5. What a joke.

d510r9

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2009
sloooooow

i have my old 4s and iPhone 5 side by side. Repeated tests, average results:

iPhone 4s
Ping ~35ms
Download ~12 Mbps
Upload ~ 0.75 Mbps

iPhone 5
Ping ~300ms
Download ~0.22 Mbps
Upload ~ 0.52 Mbps

LTE isn't an option to turn off as it's hidden (Vodafone UK, LTS network not built).

cmanbrazil

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2010
The fix is to get a new phone. Its faulty. I did and now have no problem connecting to my home or any other wifi I tried. Please don't let your return period pass.

adamtore

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2011
Sweden
The problem with using sites like Speedtest.com for this testing is that it is highly dependent on the customer's ISP and access point(s) which have little to NOTHING to do with the iPhone 5.

The problem with people on the internet is that they don't read properly. Users who reported the problem are saying that their 4/4s have up to 5x faster downloads on the same wifi... so their ISP speedtests run from an iphone5? :)

uberhamster

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2004
I realise this is rather late, but just in case anybody else is in a similar situation:

I had this problem today, but swapping my (Time Capsule) router's DNS settings from Google DNS to my ISP's fixed this issue for me.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I noticed last weekend that when I was using my i5 that my wifi was painfully slow. I reset the router and did a hard reset on my phone. After that, my wifi speeds have been fine. I had no connectivity issues with my i5, just my wifi being painfully slow (which I seem to have corrected).

jonghoyu

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2011
Somewhere outside of the US
6.0.1 slow downloads

I know this is a old thread, but I just got my iPhone 5 yesterday and app downloads over wifi are really slow. I have 5Ghz WiFi and according to speedtest.net's app, I get 42Mbit down, 23 up. Also web surfing is very fast, and so is app downloads on LTE or even HSPA+

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
Is it the person's router or the actually iphone? Because I remember when I had a linksys router ,my ipod touch 4 was always disconnecting and reconnecting from wifi. Then when I got the belkin router I have now, it doesnt happen anymore.

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
Slow download speed especially from the App Store....

For me as well.

Apps are extremely slow downloading and music as well. I'm currently downloading 28 songs and only 17 have downloaded in an hour and a half.

Melloyello

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2013
Lol, my iPod touch connects faster to wifi then my iPhone 5, I have the wifi bars up but it's still not reading it, I think it's with the new update or something, if I'm paying 80 a month I really wanna be able to use the Internet on it when I'm at work or home. But I must admit it is a lot faster then my iPhone 4, and way lighter.

peteysown

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2013
Where is apple on this super frustrating problem

Has Apple addressed this yet?

I've got a 64GB factory unlocked iPhone 5 on iOS 6.1.4 and my Wi-Fi speed at home crawls so much that when I download apps I always switch to cellular data. A 6-7mb app can take up to 15 minutes to completely download. Speed tests direct to my DSL provider's server max out but anything outside crawls to less than 1 mbps. This only happens with my iPhone 5. I've got a new Macbook Pro 15" Retina, iPad 3, Nexus 7 (2012), HP laptop, Samsung Galaxy SIII and other devices but only my iPhone 5 has this problem.

I've tried almost everything... recycled the DSL modem, changed DNS servers on both iPhone and then wireless router, replaced my wireless router, reset the iPhone's network settings, complete reinstall of iOS, switching WPA2-personal to WEP or unsecured doesn't work either. Someone suggested to maintain a download of a large sized app in the background as a temporary fix... I didn't care for the idea but tried and that didn't work.

I'm on a 10mbps DSL connection at home. I called my DSL provider to do some line tests and there are no issues. I had a Netgear router and thinking that was the problem I switched it out to an ASUS RT-N66U wireless router. Glad I did because the ASUS is excellent but the problem persists.

Everything so far points to a problem with the phone... it's been a while since anyone posted to this thread so I'm wondering if there is a fix that I missed or maybe someone has some info from Apple.

Thanks for your responses in advance.

Last edited:

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
Reports of Slow and Inconsistent Wi-Fi Connections on Some iPhone 5 Devices

Has Apple addressed this yet?

I've got a 64GB factory unlocked iPhone 5 on iOS 6.1.4 and my Wi-Fi speed at home crawls so much that when I download apps I always switch to cellular data. A 6-7mb app can take up to 15 minutes to completely download. Speed tests direct to my DSL provider's server max out but anything outside crawls to less than 1 mbps. This only happens with my iPhone 5. I've got a new Macbook Pro 15" Retina, iPad 3, Nexus 7 (2012), HP laptop, Samsung Galaxy SIII and other devices but only my iPhone 5 has this problem.

I've tried almost everything... recycled the DSL modem, changed DNS servers on both iPhone and then wireless router, replaced my wireless router, reset the iPhone's network settings, complete reinstall of iOS, switching WPA2-personal to WEP or unsecured doesn't work either. Someone suggested to maintain a download of a large sized app in the background as a temporary fix... I didn't care for the idea but tried and that didn't work.

I'm on a 10mbps DSL connection at home. I called my DSL provider to do some line tests and there are no issues. I had a Netgear router and thinking that was the problem I switched it out to an ASUS RT-N66U wireless router. Glad I did because the ASUS is excellent but the problem persists.

Everything so far points to a problem with the phone... it's been a while since anyone posted to this thread so I'm wondering if there is a fix that I missed or maybe someone has some info from Apple.

Thanks for your responses in advance.

I'm in the same boat now. I'm generally getting less than 1Mbps on WiFi, and my typical speed is about 0.5 Mbps. I never really noticed before because the apps I downloaded were small, and low bandwidth activities like posting to forums or checking the news aren't noticeably affected.

It's only when I recently tried to download bigger apps that I've noticed just how slow the WiFi is compared to HSPA+ and LTE. I bought my phone last May, so it's likely not a "first run manufacture" device that might have bugs.

This is the first major bug I've found in the phone in the past 5 months, and I'm kind of irritated. I spent a few hours searching the web for a solution and there appears to be no permanent remedy.

Resqu2

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2011
This is something I posted in the MB Air section here and helped a few with slow speeds, fixed mine on my IPad3 instantly.

Heres the thread:
https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=18125180#post18125180

Its the router I bet
I had the exact same problem on my IPad, google it, slow IPad wifi. I had to disable something called QOS or quality of service, there is another name also for different routers but I have a Linksys. I disabled it and my problem went away instantly. I was also getting great uploads but real bad DL speeds.

If you can't find what I'm talking about let me know and I'l dig up more info for you.

edit to add, in the router set up look for applications and gaming, the under that tab look for QOS then under that I have WMM support, disable this and restart everything, this is an important step. afterward, problem solved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.