Republican Congress says No to increasing the minimum wage.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Dont Hurt Me, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/06/21/minimum.wage.reut/index.html Looks like the Republican ran Congress who after giving themself another pay raise shot down a plan to increase minimum wage after 10 yrs of no increases. Republicans looking out for everyone except the American working class.:( seems they love the Mexican,Chinaman,UAE,....but American worker? get away from me.

2. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

It is becoming clearer that the GOP has forsaken the interests of The United States of America in favor of Corporate America. What has the GOP-led Congress achieved in the last 6 years? Anyone? I'm racking my brain trying to think of anything they've done. Oh, wait...I remember now. Gay Marriage Bans and giving themselves a raise.

3. iGary Guest

iGary

Most of he Democrats voted themselves a raise, too. ;)

4. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

5. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Good point.:D

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

for clarity's sake, congress did not vote itself a raise. it voted that it would not keep itself from getting a raise.

7. iGary Guest

iGary

Details, details. :p

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Ah but that is consistent because most of them also voted for a hike in the minimum wage as well.

9. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Well we do know that the republicans and democrats have done for the most part near nothing until this political season. They wouldnt even talk about the border and that was 4 yrs after 911. So they dont want the lowest workers getting more then 5 and half bucks and really would rather have the illegal non english speaking mexican here getting less. I really think the people have lost all representation in the Senate.

10. tangerineyum macrumors 6502

was this really the most eloquent way you could phrase your thoughts? And i dont notice Republican Political leaders looking out for anyone besides big business and the top 1% earning in the country. And raising the minimum wage would do a lot to help the "Mexican,Chinaman,UAE,.." like myself.

11. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Sorry , I could have been more politically correct. I have nothing against any race or country but I do have something against a govt who puts its taxpaying working class American citizen on the very bottom of their list. The Border,moving our factory base to China, and wanting the UAE to run our ports and let someone else run our airports. Thats enough for me time for a new Senate in my view. House also. edit I forgot to mention Iraq. edit again I forgot to mention they just voted down any investigations into the likes of haliburton and others.

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

And just think -- the Senate is supposed to be the more deliberative body of the two...

13. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Once a government goes completely corrupt its downfall is not far behind.....
    Unfortunately the country may go with it....

14. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

You have to ask who do these guys work for? every time I get Corporations. Its almost like there is no USA to these guys on so many issues.,

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

That's what happens when you fly the elephant above a George W. Bush autographed copy of the stars and stripes...

16. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

As much as I totally agree that the sanators absolutely don't care about the average americans... and the general sentiments of this thread I don't think that the minimum wage should be raised.

If anyone actually depends on the federal minimum wage to get a raise, then that is the actual social crisis. not the minimum wage.

EVERY AMERICAN should have the drive, ambition, knowledge and training to make substantially more than minimum wage.

1. UPS pays 10 bucks an hour plus benefits/pension. Go throw boxes.

2. The average pizza guy makes about 15-20/hr

But even those two suggestions are pointless, as the true american sentiment is that ANYONE can do ANYTHING that they want to in their life. If you are not passionate, and driven to go to work everyday than you need to quit your job and go do what you you feel called to do. I employ a few dozen people, and I will fire - on the spot, anyone who doesnt like their job. Don't waste my time, your life, or my money.

Do what you want to do, and you will always make more than minimum wage. And the government - if anyone in America should be striving for these higher ideals. Not pandering to the poor and lazy.

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Not every worker has promotion prospects, by definition. If the minimum wage represents the lowest acceptable living standards, then surely those people who - for whatever reason - are working at jobs which pay the minimum wage, should be able to maintain those minimum standards. If the minimum wage is being raised to take account of inflation, this seems fair enough. If it's completely arbitrary, hell no.

18. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

agreed, but many either don't or can't (own abilities, opportunity, discrimination, et. al.).

given your argument, do you support abolishing the minimum wage entirely?

19. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

They should pass a similar type bill for the MW. Cost of living adjustment automatically every 2 years unless voted down. Comes up for renewal every other October, just before re-election time.

20. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i'd support that.

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Excellent idea.

22. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Its funny they can do that but not to the population. I also like the healthcare system they have but not for you or me. Yes I have health insurance but just makng a point. There is without a doubt two America's.

23. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

In theory I guess would, if I only answered on impulse - but obviously, no I don't when we actually think about it. The Minimum Wage from a social standpoint should be there to help the lowest among us survive - but it should be painful or at least barely tollerable. These should be jobs for high schools kids, 2nd jobs for those on hard times, or ... well, this isn't politically correct - the lazy.

I just don't believing in raising the MW to reward people who believe that "The Man is holding them down" or "That a regular guy just can't get ahead". These are defeatest remarks and ANYONE in america can either work at UPS, FEDex, do data entry, Help out at their church, Answer phones as a secretary, Deliver Pizza's or just make coffee at starbucks. Every one of those jobs pays substantially more than 5.15 (probably at least twice that after 6 months) and most will offer benefits. IF you are working for minimum wage (with few exceptons) you are lazy - and they definitely SHOULD NOT raise the minimum wage because it will hurt the personal economy of EVERY AMERICAN, including you.

Raising the minimum wage raises the prices of everything we buy - especially at the grocery store, restauraunts, and daycare centers which exactly the worst thing you can do to those of us on the lowest economic rungs of our society.

What would be better for those among us who need help (such as the single mom with 2 kids that every senator uses as an example)? Raising the minimum wage (Thereby giving them a $35/month raise - and indirectly raising their food and daycare costs by probably $100) or getting her into a 6 week career counciling program in which she is taught the skills to almost instantly go out and earn 35k/year as a secretary or doing clerical work.

Raising the minimum wage just makes things worse and absolutely just puts a band-aid on the entire problem for 3-6 months until it forces inflation higher and hurts small business' and raises unemployment. Im not an evil capitalist - I just want people to admit that the MW isn't intended for people to live on and to be frank, and just say even if you are a highschool drop out you can make good money at Fed-Ex or some factory/office building and get health benefits.

Making $7/hr at burgerking is never going to be a successful careerplan for you, and the sooner someone is honest with you the better off you will be and you can get started building a better life for you and your family. The question all comes down to personal responsibility. Instead of working at McDonalds, go to Target or Sears. Show up for work on time and do your job and inside of a year I'm sure you can make $25k/year and get health benefits and provide for your family. You can look at yourself in the mirror with some self respect and dignity and thats what america, and the Minimum Wage is all about - Helping people get on their feet and make something for themselves and their future.

Its not about punishing everyone, just so the lazy people can get extra cheese on their whopper.

- Doc

24. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Think of it this way...to a Republican, this is the next best thing to bringing back slavery. :D

They are.

They're deliberately screwing us.

25. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i agree, but many others are taking those jobs. do you truly think that 100% wouldn't take a better paying job? or are all of them really that lazy?

i don't think your portrait of the job situation is accurate, especially given that there's no fluidity in job availability and job placement (e.g. just because the costco in, say, san diego is hiring new workers @ $8/hr, doesn't mean that the single mom working a chicago-area minimum wage cleaning job can up and move).