Republican Party history

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by JesseJames, Dec 1, 2005.

1. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Mar 28, 2003
    How'd I get here? How can I leave?
    Since there are a lot of smart people on Macrumors I'll try asking this.
    During the Civil War period in this country, it seems that the Republican Party was THE party to be in looking from our modern perspective.
    The party of Lincoln.
    So, what the hec happened to it???
    How did it become so infested with these greedy sneaking greaseballs? I mean, Republicans abolished slavery for God sakes.
    I know politicians are greaseballs by nature but man alive.
    I can only surmise that it happened during the Political Machine and Boss Tweed period during the Industrial Revolution. Money and Power.
    Somehow some way that's when the party lost its soul.
    I'll look further into this. Any discourse is welcome.
  2. Josh macrumors 68000

Mar 4, 2004
    State College, PA
    Basically, the general political parties "switched" between then and today.

The republicans of the 1860's era were more closer to today's democrats (though still much more conservative), while the democrats were closer to what we'd consider republicans today.

Lincoln didn't speak in pro for aboloshing slavery because he disliked it...he wanted to keep the Union together and not have states pulling out. Compared to today's standard, you could very much say Lincoln was a racist himself. During his time, he was very progessive in his ideas, and would not have been depicted as racist, however.
  3. leekohler macrumors G5

Dec 22, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    It is sad JesseJames. Basically, the party was taken over by people who desire power and money over anything else. And they will use any means to get it- even convince people they're religious. They've done a great job of fooling people. Too bad, there are several conservative ideas I agree with.
  4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Jul 16, 2002
    The last "progressive" Republican president was Theodore Roosevelt. He was the great "trust buster" and pushed for the founding of the national parks, among other things. The split in the party from its progressive history began with Roosevelt's hand-picked successor, William Howard Taft. He turned out to be much more pro-business in his orientation than Roosevelt expected, which he took as a personal affront. This led TR to attempt to retake the party and when he failed that, to form the Bull Moose Party. He lost of course and the Republicans slid further away from the progressive side of the political spectrum. The next two Republican presidents, Coolidge and Hoover, were even more solidly pro-business than Taft.
  5. tristan macrumors 6502a

Jul 19, 2003
    high-rise in beautiful bethesda
    Very good question. It has a lot to do with the 60s and 90s. The south used to be entirely democratic until the democratic party started supporting civil rights and became anti-war (vietnam). Then everything flipped to where it is now. That was in the mid & late 60s. Some Southern democratic politicians even switched parties, I believe.

Then in the early 90s you had the rise of the Christian conservatives, Focus on the Family types. That pulled the republicans further and further right so they were less about small government and more about (scary) social issues.
  6. MattG macrumors 68040

May 27, 2003
    Fletcher, NC
  7. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

Jul 23, 2002
    Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
    I don't think it's at all fair to say that the parties have "switched" because that's a gross oversimplification.

If you look back through US history, there are parties that rise and fall, splinter and evolve. There is no straight corrolary between Lincoln's GOP and/or Jackson's Democratic Party and anything that exists in name or in function today.

Each era of US political history had its own divisive issues that split the nation and the politics. Since we're no longer concerned about things like the gold standard or the Constitutionality of federal banks, there's no need for a party that addresses the once hotbutton issues of yesteryear.
  8. Sayhey macrumors 68000

May 22, 2003
    San Francisco
    It all starts with the "Hayes-Tilden" Compromise.

With the death of Reconstruction the "Radical" wing of the Republican party was also dead. The party of Lincoln became the party of the new industrial and financial elite. Throw in the end of progressive Republicans with the defeat of TR, the triumph of Nixon's "Southern Strategy," the victory of the Goldwater/Reagan wing in the 1970s, and the rise of Christian fundamentalism in the late 80s early 90s, and you have the modern Republican Party.
  9. JesseJames thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mar 28, 2003
    How'd I get here? How can I leave?
    Pretty good summation.
    Transmogrification through political attrition.
    Which reinforces my belief that the greatest threat to the republic are amibitious and designing politicos; and demagogues who really don't debate the issues.
    Christian fundamentalism will be a constant issue. We really need to have some sort of religious conference in this country where they can all debate peacefully.
    The best Christian speaker I've seen is Pastor Cliffe Knechtle who goes around the country to Universities and debates and discuss with students and faculty. He's very good and even says that he actually DOESN'T know everything about God.