Republican state legislators in Wyoming take stand for marriage equality

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Mar 14, 2007.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Hey! Some good news for a change. See? I don't bitch all the time. ;)

http://www.advocate.com/news_detail_ektid42938.asp

2. stillwater macrumors regular

Wow! So there are republicans with common sense after all.

Who woulda thunk it?

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

And in Wyoming no less. :) Let's hope this becomes a trend.

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i think what we're seeing, here and elsewhere, is a number of republicans who feel their party has been taken over by uber-conservative elements w/ whom they don't agree.

we'll be seeing a lot more quote-unquote independent thinking from GOP legislators in the coming years, imo.

5. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

We'll see, I suppose. But look at McCain. Of course, he may be mentally ill at this point. :)

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Yet the complaint you're hearing from Republicans is that they don't like the presidential candidates they're being offered because they're not conservative enough. So there's actually a side that thinks they lost the 2006 midterms because they need to be more Christo-fascist.

Be interesting to see which one of these two factions wins out.

7. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

As somewhat of a republican, this is good news. I am quite the atheist so I was never comfortable with the party getting into bed with religion, any religion.

As for the candidates not being conservative enough, I don't think so. Rudy and Mitt are plenty conservative for me. I do know that others feel differently, though. As for McCain, he went off my radar with the incumbent protection act, I mean campaign finance reform.

As for marriage, it is none of the government's business. Even polygamy is okay with me, as long as all parties are willing.

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Polygamy's not ok because marriage is a contract including things like power of attorney and other shared legal rights usually reserved to family members. Not to say you can't spice things up in the bedroom, but not legally. That's why you have to get a divorce in order to get remarried. That's why gays should be able to get married. As uncomfortable as some of us may be with the idea of homosexual love, they have every legal rights to the same things any other couple of consenting adults can be contractually obliged to. Everyone always thinks of the love, you can love anyone (of legal age and consent) you want, but it's the legal part that's important, and a right no society should be willing or able to take away from other citizens because of their own personal beliefs, and/or insecurities.

That being said, there are several Republicans who are getting sick of this, and not just the ones afraid of loosing their jobs. Hagel has chastised the Pres, Sunnunu (sp?) has called for the resignation of Gonzales and threatened subpoenas, many are calling on the Pres not to pardon Libby. Not to mention all of those who have moved slightly to the left (like Arnie, here in CA) to appease the moderates. So I'm not surprised at all. The only argument anyone has against homosexuality is religious, and newsflash, we're not all the same religion in this country. It's about time the pendulum swings back the other way already.

9. jayb2000 macrumors 6502a

jayb2000

Why not just get rid of marriage, call it a civil union for everyone, same rights for any two people that want to get married and be done.

If you want to do a religious ceremony as well, go for it.

Seems like everyone gets hung up on the word "marriage". :rolleyes:

10. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

That solution has been proposed many, many times on this forum, mostly from myself and IJ. The massive hang-up across the country has to do with the whole separation of religious and legal marriage. The government should have never gotten involved in "marriage" to begin with. I don't care if the religious figures are also certified to hand out the legal union, but calling both "marriage" only muddies the issue. The run to the courthouse should get you a legal union (whatever it may be called). Leave marriage as a religious institution. As long as the govt. calls it marriage there will be those who cannot see the difference between legal and religious, and will thus fight based on their religious ideology. This is very well evidenced by the strong support for Civil Unions around the country when polls are conducted.

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

The religious part is just ceremony. You still have to file with the gov to make it legal. I have to wonder about those Churches that are ok with homosexuality. By not allowing them to perform the ceremonies and recognizing it legally, wouldn't that be a breach of freedom of religion?

12. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

wyoming... who would have thought?? that's certainly good news.

hmm... wyoming... reminds me of matthew shepard...

13. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

We've had that discussion already.

14. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Yeah, I know, I made the same point.

Still valid. ;)