Republican Voters Dismayed by Biggest Spending Rise Since 1990

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Sep 15, 2006.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

bloomberg

so bush and the GOP congress just undid everything that clinton and the GOP congress did to reduce federal spending.

2. iGary Guest

iGary

In more ways than one.

This is why I am no longer a registered Republican, but instead an Independent.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

What I find humorous in all discourse regarding government is the noton that somehow democrats favor big government. In my experience, democrats want the government out of our personal lives. Republicans seem to take more of our money and give it to their pet projects, such as "faith-based" initiatives and so forth. Republicans seem to want our money to go to them because they know best. :rolleyes: They're speaking out of two sides of their mouths.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Unfortunately, this is not a new skill for politicians. :(

B

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Sure they do. I mean, they want guns out of the hands of criminals, they want to stop businesses from polluting and make them pay for things like healthcare, they want to give people money just because they're sick, or lose their jobs through no fault of their own, or get too old to work after spending a lifetime giving the government their hard earned money, forcing people to live with equal rights no matter how racist, homophobic, fundamentalist, classist, or whatever they might be. I'm sure there are more. Things like that are obviously government intrusions. Telling gays they can't get married, telling people what they can and can't do with their bodies, invading other countries for reasons that have nothing to do with national security, and trying to force your beliefs down the throats of others is perfectly acceptable. I'm sure I'm forgetting something there too.

Now if only the Liberals could actually be Democrats, or the Neocons could actually be conservative, we could actually have some one to vote for instead of against. To quote Bill Maher, I would be a Republican if only they would, but the same goes for the Dems.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

While at the same time campaigning by saying that Democrats will increase government spending.

Scum.

7. Glen Quagmire macrumors 6502a

Oh, so the Republican base is finally waking up to the fact that the current bunch in Congress and President Bush are a load of free-spending corporatists?

What next? Will they now realize that their interests aren't really served by voting as they do? They may share a religious outlook and the social conservatism of the GOP, but nothing more. Blue collar workers who vote Republican are voting against their own interests (taxes and the like). But they can't/won't vote Democratic as they don't share the social liberalism of that party. The saying "stuck between a rock and a hard place" comes to mind.

I remember reading about a Republican politican who spouted the typical party line about wanting to reign in the federal government, but was strangely in favour of all the government aid that went to help his constituents (and help him stay in office through their votes) and voted to keep the pork. Odd, that.