Republicans looking for a decent 2008 presidential candidate

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Mar 11, 2006.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Wow. Next time I'm feeling discouraged about the Democrats' chances are for 2008, I'm gonna remember this article:

We, on the other hand, can look at what appeal these potential candidates may have on a national basis.

Frist is, IMO, damaged goods...damaged because of his initial remarks in the Terry Schiavo case, and because of his persistent threats to overrun Democratic judicial filibusters.

McCain has always been an outcast and always will be. From what I've read about them, Brownback and Romney are idiots (although that didn't stop Dubya).

I don't really see a single Republican candidate who has "legs" in this contest. There are probably more Democrats rallying around Hillary right now than there are Republicans rallying around any single GOP candidate.

Giuliani might be a tough contender, but it doesn't sound to me like he's far enough to the right to satisfy the neocons. And the fact that the party base is fracturing between traditional and neo-conservatives is helpful. So perhaps if the Dems get their shtick together, find some kind of vision for the country and get themselves a decent candidate, they've got a better shot than we thought.

They can certainly do better than these stiffs.

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah, the tough question for the Republics is how to find someone who is as extremist as Bush, yet as cuddly and friendly -- 'compassionate' for lack of a better term -- than Bush was able to seem when he first hit the national stage. Guiliani is the only one with the requisite charisma, but the party of Dobson will never accept a 'pro-abortion, pro-gay' candidate. Frist is about as entertaining as a limp noodle, plus there's that cat-killer label he'll have to live with, not to mention his famous diagnosis of Terry Schaivo. Brownback has the conservative credentials, but unlike Bush in '99, Brownback's voting record is clear and won't be fooling anyone into thinking he's a moderate of any kind.

McCain? Maybe, he's obviously the guy to beat at this point. But he has a lot of baggage too. Senators always do. Tons of votes for 'oppo' teams to comb through and announce that he 'voted against moms and apple pie'.

It's gonna sound pretty hackneyed the next time a Republic candidate tries to claim that Jesus is their favorite philosopher. ;)

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

McCain is all over the news these days, he's a better man then George Bush but he still a republican and that should scare all Americans after 5 years of Spend,Spend,Spend and grow the govt while taking away your rights,freedoms,and liberty's. Anyone who runs behind what George and the republicans have done the past 5 years is going to have a long tough road.

4. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

Oh just bring the alcohol over for election night already. I'll be 21.

*Checks calendar* - oh, maybe not. Who cares? Bring it anyway.

5. iGary Guest

iGary

McCain would be a good choice, but I still wouldn't vote for him.

His chief of staff is a big old pole smoker that used to live in our buildling, though.

We'll see.

6. tristan macrumors 6502a

The nutcase neocons and the fraktarded fundies are running the party these days. Who do they want to be our next President? Man, that's a scary thought.

I don't think they want Bill Frist out of his post - he's doing a good job there (from their warped point of view). Maybe George Allen.

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

The Republicans are having a pretty hard time coming up with a candidate. They're all over the place, just like the Democrats. Seems at this point, the Dems could take advantage of this if they were smart. But I don't know if that's going to happen any time soon. If they run Hillary, she won't win. Especially against McCain, though lately he's done some things I haven't been happy with and the far right voters who participate in the primaries would never let him win. Doesn't help that he's supporting Bush right now, even if it is just to cozy up to the neocons. Hopefully Frist loses by a lot, which might send them a message. There's no way he'd win in the national race, even against Hillary. Though I'm not sure, Hillary may be able to win as Senator, but as President it would be a huge uphill battle. People really don't like her.

I'm hoping the focus is on her just to take it off anyone else the Dems might be thinking of, because this is not the year for them to be trying to make a statement.

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I wouldn't mind if Frist or Brownback got the nomination. :p

9. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Actually, in a way, the more outrageous and extreme the candidate, the better.

It's too bad Ann Coulter isn't running. ;)

10. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Looks like you guys got your wish. Frist wins GOP straw poll. I can honestly say I did not see this coming. I guess the conservatives haven't learned their lesson. Hopefully the Dems learn theirs. Although there were only 1,427 votes, so this doesn't say much (66 of which were for Bush... kinda funny actually). The actual nominee could be someone else entirely.

If it is Clinton vs. Frist in '08, I'm moving to another country. Seriously. Would explain the whole "end of the world in 2012" thing though.

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Nah, he's gotta win the GOP nomination before I get my wish. Besides, he bussed in a pile of supporters just so he wouldn't lose this straw poll on his home turf.

12. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I am hoping for McCain, who many insiders are predicting will get the nod this time. He is out showing support for W and pushing some of the correct buttons w/in the GOP. While I am not a big supporter of ALL of his policy thoughts, he is to me the best candidate of both sides.

I truly wish for a Reagan-esk candidate. W has allowed the government to get too large.

13. iGary Guest

iGary

I just saw McCains stance on the North Dakota abortion stance yesterday and he's out of the runnig for me, now.

14. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

today's krugman column:

15. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Yeah, I've been paying closer attention to McCain the last few years and...he's disappointed me. As usual, Krugman hit the nail on the head.

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Ditto. McCain isn't a moderate or a maverick or anything else other than an opportunistic politician.

The fact that he would embrace Bush the way he has after what Bush/Rove said about his adopted daughter in the SC primary says volumes about where McCain's loyalties are.

17. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

dick cheney and condi rice are not mentioned, and if either gets the nod, i don't know if they will carry on just as george w bush

the democrats will have a good chance in 2008

18. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

do you mean S dakota?

Funny cause one of his reasons the hard right doesn't like him is his abortion stance. Personnally I am very pro-life, but not to the exclusion of a candidate that makes most of the other marks. Decent people as candidates are very hard to come by, via either party, so of the front runners, he has the most "honor" and "do right" in him of the GOP candidates. At least that I am aware of right now. I just wish someone would limit government! Taxes and government are out of control. Bigger is not better when it comes to government, IMHO.

19. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

McCain lost me a long time ago. It's a shame, because I used to like him, and actually almost voted for him in the primaries because I didn't like Gore. Those reasons now seem petty by comparison, and I also can't believe he's still backing GW after what Rove did to him during the 2000 election and the numerous things Bush has done since that he claimed to be against. I feel the same way about Guliani (sp?). Used to like him, but he's long since let me down. He's staying out of it for now (as well he probably should, the way he dumped his sick wife was disgraceful), and McCain is cuddling up to the neocons because he figures he already has the moderates. Based on Bush's current numbers, that's probably a mistake that will cost him because now moderates won't trust him like they used to and the far right will want someone like Frist.

At the moment, there is no one I like even being mentioned. On either side. Every one of them makes me feel ill for one reason or another.

20. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

if a person had to break up the gop into neo conservatives and moderates, mccain is still a neo conservative, though perhaps on the more moderate side of that splinter

i guess he is warming up to the conservative wing of the neo conservatives, but he knows that the gop will back him up against any democrat that comes around the corner...in the end, it's either party's interest to win the white house whether it's a true believer or a "compromiser" who has the nominationn

bill clinton was a blue dog democrat, which is basically a democrat with some republican fiscal ideas but if he was completely a traditional liberal, there's a good chance he would have never won the white house

reagan also captured the white house with some of his middle of the road ideas and he knew he could never win being another richard nixon