Republicans threaten government shutdown over Obamacare

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Blue Velvet, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Moderator emeritus

Never mind that it's law of the land, found constitutional by the Supreme Court and two presidential elections have been fought and won on its general principles:

Last time this happened in 1995/96, according to Wikipedia:

For the supposedly fiscally conservative party, all this comes at great cost to the country:

It seems Republicans are tearing themselves apart:

I'm not sure why people continually put people into government who don't believe in government and can't govern. Everything they seem to touch turns to ashes.

What do you think about all of this? And how do you think the country will see it?

2. macrumors 6502a

jnpy!$4g3cwk

When the system has been rigged, you don't have to fool a majority. A select minority in the right states will do. Unfortunately, all it takes is money.

3. macrumors 68000

hulugu

Increasingly, members of the GOP sound like the anonymous US Air Force major who explained the destruction of the Vietnamese town of Bến Tre to Peter Arnett: "It became necessary to destroy the town to save it."

Despite the referendum of a presidential election, a Supreme Court ruling, an analysis by the CBO that the ACA will save $210 billion over the next years and create as many as four million jobs, and that shutting down the government will cost billions and shave 0.2 percentage points off of economic growth for every week the government isn't functioning, the GOP still believes that this is a viable strategy.

That tells us everything about the GOP, at best, they're hoping for a Pyrrhic Victory. Too bad we're the Roman legions they're willing to bend their swords upon.

4. macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'm really curious as to what the GOP want to replace Obamacare with, it isn't like we can go back to the old system. Of course I wouldn't be totally opposed to a government shutdown since it would mean that the GOP gets most of the blame and hopefully gets voted out of the majority in the house next election. And maybe if we are really lucky they are successful in getting Obamacare to fail and we can get it replaced with a single payer system after they get voted out.

5. macrumors 68000

VulchR

The right-wing in US politics is becoming more and more bizarre and destructive every day.

6. macrumors 68020

applesith

Not gonna happen. Boehner won't get behind this.

7. macrumors 6502a

jnpy!$4g3cwk

The Republicans are pretty much split down the middle. If the radicals don't get what they want, they may try to dump Boehner. The administration obviously thinks that there is a significant possibility, since contingency planning is now underway:

http://thehill.com/blogs/on-the-money/budget/322927-agencies-should-prepare-for-shutdown-white-house-says

8. macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Not happening. The republicans need to accept the fact that obamacare will not be defunded. Their attempts at sabotage are sad.

9. macrumors 68020

applesith

They won't dump him. He won't turn on obamacare. He goes along with most things obama wants and that's not changing now. Government isn't going to shut down. This seems like propaganda coming from both sides.

10. macrumors 603

Michael Goff

Do it.

If it happens, the GOP will become just like the Whigs.

11. macrumors 68020

applesith

So you want a government shut down just to deliver a blow to a political party?

That's rational...

12. macrumors 603

Michael Goff

I never claimed to be rational.

And I don't just mean it would hurt them, I mean it would likely be the last thing that would ensure that they don't have a majority anywhere. That way we might be able to get something through Congress eventually.

Because we won't get anything done while we have a party that's sole focus is being obstructionists.

13. macrumors 6502a

I would bet the Tea Party wing does force a shutdown.

14. macrumors 68020

applesith

You sound exactly like those who wanted Obama's policies to fail just so the Republicans would re-gain the office. You are part of the problem with this divided country.

15. macrumors 603

Michael Goff

*rolls eyes*

I'm part of the problem because I see that the party of "let's just disagree with 95% of what Obama says" is a problem to the country? Sure thing.

16. macrumors 603

thekev

Your reference made me think of an old Texas anti-littering commercial.

17. macrumors 68020

applesith

No need to be rude.

If you saw the results of the last election, there are a lot of people who disagree with most of what Obama says, hence that party keeping it's numbers from votes.

Either way, your original post shows the larger issue where selfish people want political gain at the expense of the country. Rooting for failure so you can say the other people did it.

18. macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

Um...I did see the results of the last election. I can't quite remember the source, but I seem to think I heard somewhere where a majority of voters actually preferred Obama and his policies. I'll try to find the source somewhere later.

Anyhoo- Boehner is screwed. If he allows a vote that would require the Democrats to pass, then his Speakership is probably over. If he proceeds with the vote to defund the ACA, then he's going to be blamed for a shutdown.

It's looking more and more like he wants to retain his Speakership.

And that's likely since most house districts are so gerrymandered that they don't reflect the partisan makeup of their states, thus giving the Republicans a huge majority in the House.

19. macrumors 68020

applesith

Yes Obama won, so no need for your condescending comment. However, there were still many Americans who did not vote for him. He did not get a landslide. Even though he won, doesn't mean he's right. There are plenty of Americans who do not agree with him.

Back on topic now, as this is not an Obama approval thread.

20. macrumors 603

Michael Goff

Rooting for failure so I can say the other people did it? Except that would be the people doing it. And I wasn't even being rude about it. Please stop being CNN, where everything is equal.

21. macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I almost want the government shutdown to happen because it would most likely end the fights over the debt ceiling that we have had. Although a government shutdown would be very harmful to economy, it's much, much better than breaching the debt ceiling.

P-Worm

22. macrumors 68020

applesith

The *eye roll* was rude. Not sure where you are getting the "CNN...being equal thing" from.

23. macrumors 603

Michael Goff

CNN says "the right wings says this, the left wing says this, it's equal" or "Democrats lied during a debate, Republicans lied, it's equal". The false equivalency where you're comparing what I'm saying to the actual want for policies to fail, instead of me saying "stop threatening to do something, do it" is nonsensical.

If they truly believe in something, they should stand up for it.

Is it wrong of me to want the US Government to actually be able to do something? Because right now, just about nothing is being done. And we have the "filibuster congress" to thank for doing it.

24. macrumors 68030

APlotdevice

Oh no? Boehner received a unanimous 241 votes from his GOP Representatives the first time he was elected to be the Speaker. Upon re-election he only got 220. Now with a full roster you need 218 votes to become Speaker of the House. In the latter case nine Reps did not vote, making the minimum 214. Even still that put him close to the razor.

25. macrumors 68000

He's barely relevant these days. With every major issue, he has a smaller role, a smaller voice, and more people in his party are toeing outside the line he sets.

Pretty sure a shutdown would occur right at the debt ceiling limit - I mean they've been running accounting tricks for months - that interest alone would have a good chance of breaching the ceiling in a shutdown of any significant length