Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

terriyaki

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 4, 2005
Vancouver
I've been looking into maxing out my brand new 12" iBook but I don't really know much the different brands of RAM out there.. I've already been told of Crucial.. Think any of you guys can give me pointers on which brands to look for and which to stay clear of?

Thanks in advance.

chucknorris

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2005
Moscow, ID (No Kremlin here!)
terriyaki said:
I've been looking into maxing out my brand new 12" iBook but I don't really know much the different brands of RAM out there.. I've already been told of Crucial.. Think any of you guys can give me pointers on which brands to look for and which to stay clear of?

Thanks in advance.

I'm by no means an expert, but look for websites that guarantee compatibility. Crucial is one, but there are others. Data Memory Systems is a worth a gander, but I'm not sure if they're cheaper. I wasn't able to get to the new iBooks from the front page on that site, but there's a thread somewhere here with a link to it. (I believe the thread is called "quick ram question")

Good luck!

P.S. I bought from Crucial, and enjoyed the experience immensely.

mungki

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2005
offtek.co.uk

i just ordered some RAM for my iBook yesterday from http://www.offtek.co.uk, (about half the price of crucial) plus they seem to garauntee compatability, so if your not in any rush to buy your RAM, i'll let you know how it all works out!

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I bought 2 GB of Kingston (not to be confused with Kingmax) a couple of months ago, and it works perfectly.

mungki

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2005
2 days it took to be delivered from offtek.co.uk, piece of p**s to install no probs at all, and alot cheaper than crucial, well thats my 2 cents, hope that helps

MuNGKi

Ashapalan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2005
England
Thanks for recommending offtek, i gearing up to buying a 1 gig upgrade for my powerbook. They sound just like what im looking for, and they take visa electron!

Cheers.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Just make sure that they have a lifetime replacement guarantee, and that they are certified to work with your Mac - those are always the 2 most important things. If you want more advice, I would suggest PMing CanadaRAM as he is extremely knowledgeable when it comes to Apple RAM.

AstrosFan

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2005
terriyaki said:

Thanks in advance.

The other site that is not yet mentioned in this thread (though in many others) is http://www.macsales.com, also known as OWC.
They also guarantee Mac compatability & have a lifetime replacement guarantee.
Their prices are usually competitive as well.
I have personally bought from Crucial & had a good experience, for what that's worth.

Good luck!

terriyaki

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 4, 2005
Vancouver
Thanks for all of the advice, guys... but I ended up purchasing the 1 gig stick from Crucial since they seem to finally have some more in stock. :)

Looks like I've made the order at just the right time, too.. When I made the order earlier this evening it was marked at $143.99.. and now it's currently at $148.31.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
iMacSE500 said:
Has anyone used the companies from dealram?
DealRAM is just a directory of suppliers, including the ones recommended above. My concern with DealRAM is that their categories lump together machines which have different requirements. The RAM listed in DealRAM under iBook G4 for example is not correct for the new iBook G4 1.33 and 1.42. You still have to go to the specific seller and get their guarantee of compatibility with your specific model Mac.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

terriyaki

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 4, 2005
Vancouver
Just installed the new gig stick and everything is looking good. It's currently rebooting from installing the new security update..

Anyways, I have a question for those of you who have purchased Crucial RAM. When you installed the RAM did you just leave those stickers on the RAM module alone? Mine had a few stickers (one on each side) and I wasn't sure whether I should remove them or not..

I read the instructions that came with my RAM and I also read the instructions in my iBook's manual and there wasn't anything on removing stickers..

Will it be fine? Am I just worrying about nothing?

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
terriyaki said:
Just installed the new gig stick and everything is looking good. It's currently rebooting from installing the new security update..

Anyways, I have a question for those of you who have purchased Crucial RAM. When you installed the RAM did you just leave those stickers on the RAM module alone? Mine had a few stickers (one on each side) and I wasn't sure whether I should remove them or not..

I read the instructions that came with my RAM and I also read the instructions in my iBook's manual and there wasn't anything on removing stickers..

Will it be fine? Am I just worrying about nothing?

Actually, the glue from the stickers will melt into the RAM and clog up a couple MB's worth, so you may only end up about 980 MB instead of 1 GB. :p ;)

AFAIK, you have nothing to worry about. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.