Request - Comparison of iWeb and Pages

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thequicksilver, Jan 13, 2006.

1. thequicksilver macrumors 6502a

thequicksilver

I've used Pages but not iWeb, and I'm just wondering something from those of you who have used both:

Having seen Jobs' keynote on Tuesday, iWeb looks awfully like Pages, with a very similar interface, with very similar alignment guide type things, with very similar Inspector palettes to change things, etc.

Which begs my question - is iWeb basically just Pages for websites instead of documents?

Anyone with experience of both, I'd like to hear your comparisons. My fear is that it is, and given that I absolutely hated almost everything about the way Pages worked, this might well confirm my fears about iWeb.

Many thanks.

2. thequicksilver thread starter macrumors 6502a

thequicksilver

It's been a few days now and hopefully quite a few people have managed to try iWeb. If you're familiar with Pages your input would be appreciated. :)

3. dr427 macrumors regular

dr427

iWeb is the only reason I am considering upgrading from '05 to '06.

Other posts seem to indicate it is a rather simple program.

Not sure though about your question and pages since I don't have it yet.

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

Yes and no. iWeb allows you to build interactive web pages. That is, pages that do things when people click on them. The two programs build different end products. But yes both use the idea of dropping content into pre-formatted templates. Pages does allow you to make a static page iWeb allows you to make a different kind of web content.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I don't use Pages but I use iWeb (and am liking it). Tell us what you really hate about Pages and I can tell you if those things pop up in iWeb. :)

6. kwajaln macrumors 6502

kwajaln

I haven't used Pages very recently, but I have in the past. As soon as I started working with iWeb I noticed a striking similarity between it and Pages. Unlike the OP however, I like Pages and I love iWeb so far, although I can see feeling it is a bit limiting in the future.

7. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I haven't used pages, but I like iWeb so far too. Easy to use, and it looks great. My only complaint is the horribly oversized pages it creates because it insists on using PNG images. I may try to write an Applescript that automatically converts everything from PNG to JPEG...