request from a metal iCal user

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by vniow, Oct 16, 2003.

1. vniow macrumors G4

I've been trying to de-metalifize iCal for the longest time, I used to do it manually by editing the NIB file or Unsanity's Metallifizer would do it for me but for some reason neither of them work and its not just the latest update either so if anyone's got any suggestions (or even a modified NIB file) please post it so I don't have to look at this for much longer, ahhhhhhh!

2. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

it seems like they must have done it like iTunes and made it impossible to demetallifize without res-hacking to the max... i would just deal with it, if i were you. do you really use it that much?

3. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

have a look at my screen shot - i use iCal a fair bit along with iTunes, iSync (duh!), Safari, Address book and calculator. This is apple's metal to the extreme - and in a few days i will be able to add finder to it.

hmmm - what happened to lickable aqua - i think the stream dried up (crappy pun intended) :D

4. vniow thread starter macrumors G4

No. Not when I have the option to change it (or used to)

Yes.

And I won't just "deal" with this, every other Cocoa app I have the option to get rid of or add the metal interface (and I have), just not this one, when I try to open the NIB file it says I'm missing WR Pallette or something like that, I used to be able change the NIB file with no problems just not this particular time and its not because it was just updated, I couldn't do it with the last version either but do remember doing it some time before (I did do a reinstall, hmm..)

Its a tiny file insde iCal, /Contents/Resources/English.proj/MainMenu.nib and it won't let me open it! Arrrgh...

5. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

once again, i think they changed it so that you CAN'T just make it agua. is it so hard to believe? iTunes is the same way.

also, you should notice that demetalifizer does change it. it makes the buttons look like the old style ones, with the drop shadow instead of recessed. it also messes up some other stuff. they have changed the nib, it seems, to use "custom" glyphs/resources within iCal for a bunch of things, so it won't work as easily as it does for all your other apps. this is the only explanation i can think of...

obviously, something changed. they're making it hard on you. sorry...

6. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I don't know, I can't understand why people get so flustered about the metal look..

(..but then again, I get flustered when people use "Aqua" to describe striped windows, Aqua is the entire UI. After all, It's the bubble-like buttons, checkboxes and sliders that Aqua gets it's name from, not striped (or metallic) windows ;)

Mac users are sooo hard to please.. ;)

7. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

of course, if we were easy to please, you would end up with something like this

[​IMG]

it's definitely a good thing we're particular.

8. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Don't lick it during the winter... you're tongue might get stuck to the monitor and then if you moved the window super fast your tongue would get drug all around... not a good idea...

9. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

apple has gone crazy with the brushed metal look. it's alright when there are only 2 or three brushed metal apps open, but your screenshot demonstrates how "busy" and confusing things become when you have a lot of textured windows. apple either needs to cool it with throwing metal on every new (and old) app, or tone it way down. take a look at omni's brushed metal, it's much more pleasant.

10. vniow thread starter macrumors G4