REQUEST: Sub-forums of Gaming Forum, or other...

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by XNine, Aug 21, 2006.

1. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Due to the constant flamewars, heated debates, off-topic posts, and all around mess in the Games forum, I am making this request: Make Computer, Nintendo, Playstation, and XBox (and perhaps an argument) sub-forums to the gaming section so everything can stay a little more intact and on-topic.

Either that or rule out console gaming from the forum.

However, I believe that sub-forums would need less policing by mods/gods than "no-console talk." Less work is good.

This isn't my idea, but was an idea provided to me by another member who apparently finds my defense of "everything-not-Nintendo" to be highly regarded...

Anyway. Just a suggestion/request.

Have a nice day.

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

making subforums for every system would just be stupid, as would banning of talk of consoles.

Especially with more and more games coming cross platform it would just not be intelligent because you could theoretically have 4 threads on the exact same game.

Hell while we are at it why don't we split the political forums into, religion, politics (with further subforums for democrats and republicas) and social issues

3. XNine thread starter macrumors 68040

XNine

How'd I know you'd be the first to respond?
    And how many games does anyone talk about that's cross-platform anyway?

I took you off of ignore to read THIS?! Bah.

4. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

apparently you missed the link for View post instead of taking off ignore :/

5. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I'm not sure if this is the solution, but I am eager to see if anything will happen as a result of things really building up in the gaming forums(2 threads went kind of out of control, but i think we might be able to get over it with not help from admins if we tried, but never the less waiting to see what happens)

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It's a nice sentiment but it won't work. Windows users come from far away to bash MacRumors. In the same way, you're going to have MR members doing similar things.

How are you going to keep MR members who use one console out of a sub-forum for another console?

7. XNine thread starter macrumors 68040

XNine

The point, I guess, is not to keep them OUT. I wouldn't want that. The point would be keeping the discussion related to what the OP intended.

Again, not really my idea here. just tying up loose ends.

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

how bout no gaming forum at all, there problem solved.

If you kids can't play nice then you get nothing.:rolleyes:

10. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Except the "problem" isn't solved because others can talk about gaming related issues w/out bickering or worse.

11. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

The age limit for the games forum should be raised to 25. That should cut down on all the senseless posts, but judging by the other forums, this may not solve the problem. :)

What we need are more moderators for the Game forum. You know, as long as personal attacks and obvious trolling are dealt with swiftly, there shouldn't be any need for more forums.

12. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

That the worst idea yet, because something is broken do you get rid of it, and not replace it, or fix it? no you'd fix it

13. emw macrumors G4

emw

I would hazard a guess to say the one thing that won't happen is dedicating more moderating to a fairly specific non-Mac forum here. ;)

Moderators rely upon people reporting problematic posts, and the same should apply in the gaming forum. I suspect if it becomes too rancid in there, something will happen, such as temporary closure or some such thing, which would be sad.

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

well why not like a week freeze, let heads cool off.

15. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

Maybe there should be a sub forum in gaming for arguments, similar to the political sub forum. That way, people could argue to their hearst content without any of the posts counting to their overall total.

The only problem I see is that flame-war threads often start out innocently enough then turn into problems, and it would be a lot of work for the mods to constantly move threads around. Possibly there could be a console sub forum (seeing as consoles are not mac related) in which the politcal forum rules apply, which would be a chore for the mods but it might be easier for them than the current set-up.

16. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Does sound better, but really i think things have cooled down.. and now we need a long term solution(Freeze the forum each time this comes around is an options, but doesn't seem fair to people not involded in the disagreement )

17. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

:confused: .....Thats a great idea dad!:rolleyes: maybe you can cut off my allowance as well pops...

I think the gaming section is alright the way it is....we just got to be adults about it.

Bless

18. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

its not gonna get any better as 2 new consoles are expected within 3 months, Lets freeze the forum for a few days until a solution that benefits all can be arranged.

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Is it feasible to divide the forums into 3 sections PC, Console, and Games, Then if one forum needs attention it can be dealt with without the whole gaming section being affected.

20. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

How about if a post is taking the original topic I dunno... let's call it... "Off topic" you report the post and let the mods either delete, edit, or split the thread posts out as they see fit. If you do it enough people will get the idea.

Also, not starting flame fests yourself (anybody) would be a good idea.

21. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Personally, I think it's really not that bad. It'd be nice to have a Gaming Moderator, but other than that, I don't think it needs to be divided. The Mac gaming topics still stay up with the Console gaming topics, there is rarely any crossover between the two.

Onizuka tends to *start* flamewars by getting mad and throwing a fit even at the mention of another console in one of his threads, even if the person is quoting from say the interview linked to in the OP and discussing a point, and screaming "fanboy!" at anyone who doesn't agree with him.

Just because somebody disagrees with you doesn't mean you have to brand them a fanboy and parade around the forum screaming about it.

22. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Actually it will- the fact that two consoles are COMING is what's generating all the excitement. Launch day will be the peak, and after launch things will quickly slow down because people won't be posting every single PS3 and Wii-related article in anticipation.

There's really no need to freeze the forum. The situation is nowhere near as bad as Onizuka makes it out to be. Freezing the forum would only frustrate a lot of people that are perfectly fine with the arrangement just because one or two people are being infantile about people comparing consoles.

By "comparing consoles" I'm not talking about flaming here, the latest PS3 thread had someone making a simple comparison about target marketshare, and Onizuka's angered response proclaiming that MR is the Nintendo Power board and we're all a bunch of Nintendo fanboys started a flame war.

Sorry to be singling you out Onizuka, but this isn't the first time you've started or been involved with a flame war and then run off to complain about everyone else afterwards.

The arguement is small and with a couple people in a single thread. Freeze the whole forum? Please don't do that...

Also: Sub-forums don't always work. The LucasArts boards were a prime example of that- I kept up with news prior to the launch of Star Wars Battlefront there for a short time. XBox trolls would deliberately go to the PS2 section because they knew the fuse was shorter there and start flamewars, and PS2 trolls would do the same. The seperation results in a lot of trolls knowing exactly where to go, and also results in people interested in genuinely comparing two consoles being labeled as trolls depending where they put the thread.

23. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

I thought the Games forum was to talk specifically about Mac gaming software, since it is under the Mac Software main category. If the kids can't behave in the forum, perhaps it should be removed altogether or changed so it doesn't include console games. There are plenty of other gaming sites to cater to the juvies.

24. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

The "sub-title" of the Gaming forum specifically says, "mac and console games".

25. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

If its only a few people causing the problems then the solution is easier, Just deal with those few parties and let everything else run as normal.

when the forums were reorganized it was said that it would be an open gaming forum.