Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobscliff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2005
NYC
If you've seen the movie, you know what I mean. The characters are the most pathetic I've seen since Glengarry Glenross. Yet it's one of the best movies i've ever seen. I can't wait to see what Aronofsky comes up with next. So what's your vote for most soul-crushing movie of all time?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Is that where the Moloko song by the same name is from? I love that song but I can imagine just how depressing the movie would be, based on a soundtrack like that.

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
Wow I've never posted in the Community Discussions forum!

Requiem is a kick-ass movie, One of my favorites. I know so many people that have ripped off the music and have put it in their own videos but it doesn't make it as good as the real thing.

There are plenty of soul crushing movies, I've seen so many films it's hard to say which one had the most impact without saying the one I've seen recently.

xPismo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
California.
FF_productions said:
...Requiem is a kick-ass movie, One of my favorites. ..

Mine too. Watch the director commentary for more good tidbits on the mindset behind his vision.

Pi is worth tracking down too, its his earlier film.

Oddly, I love watching that movie when I'm depressed. It makes me feel good just to see that heavy and hard a film being made today.... thats a wonderful thing.

DZ/015 said:
...But damn, that Jennifer Connelly is hot.

Yeah, I'll admit I watch it for her too. She is in my top ten. Super hot. If you really want to see her, um, with less of a storyline and more, uh, gratuitously bare check out The Hot Spot. Its the worst movie ever made - probably - but Jennifer is such a cutie, its worth renting and suffering through.

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
xPismo said:
Mine too. Watch the director commentary for more good tidbits on the mindset behind his vision.

Pi is worth tracking down too, its his earlier film.

Oddly, I love watching that movie when I'm depressed. It makes me feel good just to see that heavy and hard a film being made today.... thats a wonderful thing.

I rented the dvd and didn't even listen to director commentary, I probably should do that. I love the DVD menu for Requiem.

Out of all the movies I've seen, this one has the best cinematography and is just cool/dark/sad.

bobscliff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2005
NYC
xPismo said:
Yeah, I'll admit I watch it for her too. She is in my top ten. Super hot. If you really want to see her, um, with less of a storyline and more, uh, gratuitously bare check out The Hot Spot. Its the worst movie ever made - probably - but Jennifer is such a cutie, its worth renting and suffering through.

That reminds me of another terrible movie that I watched for one of the hot stars. "Tank Girl" is a ridiculous movie about kangaroo-men hybrids in the future, ugh it's bad but the lovely Naomi Watts is in it, as a brunette with glasses no less. And you know what, I'd watch it again.

Phat_Pat

macrumors 68000
May 8, 2004
I Live Where I Live
i hope you all have seen the unrated version

(for some reason our target only carries the edited version)

to me the edited version just isnt as effective at tearing u down at the end

GorillaPaws

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
The Fountain does look amazing, I hadn't heard of it until reading about it in this thread (thanks for that). And yes, Requiem is horribly depressing, although the most depressing movie I can think of off the top of my head is Planet of the Apes (the original of course). Personally, I tend to enjoy movies that end horribly (for the characters) every now and again, because they break with convention and keep things spiced up.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
The first time I watched RFAD was on a flight to New York (it was the unedited version). It made me so depressed despite the fact I was flying to NYC for my honeymoon!!

Phat_Pat

macrumors 68000
May 8, 2004
I Live Where I Live
bartelby said:
The first time I watched RFAD was on a flight to New York (it was the unedited version). It made me so depressed despite the fact I was flying to NYC for my honeymoon!!
i'm assuming it was on a portable dvd player

(i can't image the in flight movie being requiem):p

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Phat_Pat said:

I watched the full, un-cut version of Team America: World Police on the flight from New York to Sydney. It wasn't the "in-flight" movie, I was in 1st so we had our own video players but I was amazed they even offered it. They couldn't find Blazing Saddles though :(

Requiem for a Dream put me off any thoughts I may have had about giving drugs a go - such a soul-crushing movie, horrific, visceral and brilliant. I've seen it once and will not be watching it again, not because I didn't like it but because I couldn't physically do it again.

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
I love this film. Granted it is not the most cheerful film you'll ever see, but it is powerful and compelling and worth sticking with.

The music is fantastic too. It was composed by Clint Mansell (from Pop Will Eat Itself for 90's UK music fans), and more people have probably heard it than they actually realise. The track that plays over the opening credits (Lux Aeterna) was used for the Lord of the Rings:Two Towers trailers, and has subsequently been used whenever a TV producer needs some dramatic, epic orchestral music (ITV trailer producers are particularly bad at this)

iSaint

macrumors 603
bobscliff said:
If you've seen the movie, you know what I mean. The characters are the most pathetic I've seen since Glengarry Glenross. Yet it's one of the best movies i've ever seen. I can't wait to see what Aronofsky comes up with next. So what's your vote for most soul-crushing movie of all time?

The World According to Garp

One of Robin William's early movies. Nothing but bad stuff happens to him.

L

Lau

iSaint said:
The World According to Garp

One of Robin William's early movies. Nothing but bad stuff happens to him.

I love that book, but I've never dared watch the film, in case it doesn't live up to it.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Phat_Pat said:

It was an in flight movie!!
Virgin Atlantic.

I was surprised too!

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Kernow said:
I love this film. Granted it is not the most cheerful film you'll ever see, but it is powerful and compelling and worth sticking with.

The music is fantastic too. It was composed by Clint Mansell (from Pop Will Eat Itself for 90's UK music fans), and more people have probably heard it than they actually realise. The track that plays over the opening credits (Lux Aeterna) was used for the Lord of the Rings:Two Towers trailers, and has subsequently been used whenever a TV producer needs some dramatic, epic orchestral music (ITV trailer producers are particularly bad at this)

Sky Sports are also using it for adverts for the new season

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
yeah I own this film on DVD and I'll say it's very challenging to sit through, I only watch it maybe once a year or so because of it.

It's a beautifully edited film, and the music is simply the best of any film I own. But as others have mentioned, it is very draining & crushing.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
RFAD was depressing...but I'd still say "Leaving Las Vegas" is probably the most depressing "drug movie" I've ever seen. I didn't want to have a drink for a week after watching that movie ;)

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
It may have been a depressing movie, but it has a great web site, specially considering that it was made back in 2000. Infact, as I recall the site won a ton of awards back then.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
RacerX said:
It may have been a depressing movie, but it has a great web site, specially considering that it was made back in 2000. Infact, as I recall the site won a ton of awards back then.

The only thing I see on that website is a banner advertisement, which brings you to another website.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.