Require password after sleep or screensaver...

Discussion in 'OS X' started by nikhsub1, Aug 30, 2009.

1. macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

This must be new with SL but it is annoying me to no end... I like my laptop to require password after sleep, but NOT after the screen dims... I do NOT use a screensaver so I don't understand what is going on... any tips? I put the screen to sleep after 15 minutes and each time that happens, I have to enter my password to get back in.

2. macrumors 6502a

3. thread starter macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

It still is, my point is that in Leopard, when my display went black after 15 mins it did NOT require me to enter my password to use the computer, in SL now it does...

4. macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Under security there is a choice for how long after screen saver, etc, to wait before prompting for the password.

Just change it to 1 hour, 4 hours, etc, and it should not prompt you for the password unless you are away for a long time.

5. thread starter macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Perhaps I'm not being clear. I NEVER want it to require a password after the screen goes blank, only after sleep. This is how it used to work, now it does not.

6. macrumors member

I'm after this option too since I used it in Leopard. I'm surprised to see that it's disappeared in Snow Leopard unless I've missed it somewhere? :(

7. macrumors 6502

Just upgraded to SL and this is really annoying me too. I want the behavior from Leopard back. It was fine the way it was. :mad:

8. macrumors 65816

GoKyu

Here's a Macrumors Post from last year that looks like it may do what you want...

Hope this helps!

9. macrumors 6502a

System Preference > Security > uncheck Require password

try that to see if it helps.

10. macrumors member

The answer to the original post in that thread is available in Leopard's 'System Preferences' in the 'Security' section where you could enable your Mac to ask for your password after the screen sleeps. This not after the screen saver has been on which occurs before the screen sleeps.

In Snow Leopard, the preference has been changed to only after the screen saver has been on. As a result, this causes annoyance since your Mac would ask for your password more often since the screen saver always occurs before the screen sleeps. There's no preference in Snow Leopard to only ask your password after the screen sleeps :(

If the above post is confusing, please feel free to ask me to try and clarify it :p

Unfortunately, this preference makes your Mac easier to obtain information in your Keychain and therefore does not help those who are complaining in this thread :(

11. macrumors 65816

So there is no way to have Snow Leopard require password ONLY after sleep, but NOT after screensaver, like it was possible in Leopard???