Require PIN to turn phone off?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by avanpelt, Dec 17, 2012.

1. macrumors 65816

Is it possible in iOS Restrictions to require a PIN in order to turn the phone off? If it's not currently possible, I think this would be a fantastic way to keep the phone pingable when it's lost/stolen since the battery can't be pulled. I've enabled the Location Services restriction so Location Services can't be turned off, but if the phone is turned off, the Location Services restrictions are meaningless.

2. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

Cannot be done on stock firmware.
    On JB iphone yes, you can enable a feature like that.
    But even if they cant turn it off they can pop out the sim and then the phone wont be able to report back its location with find my iphone.
    I dont think you can put a pin number on the sim tray:)

3. thread starter macrumors 65816

Hadn't considered that. I guess that just goes to show that there's always a way around security measures if somebody wants something badly enough. . .

4. macrumors 604

wordoflife

Yep. Unfortunately it's not a complete anti theft solution however it's better than nothing

5. macrumors 6502

Not saying this is always true, but a lot of thieves are quite dumb and a switch off PIN could be viable.

6. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

Well said.
    Not everyone knows all the ins and outs of the iphone and find my iphone features like most of us do on this forum.