Required &/or Nice-to-have Goodies...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MSM Hobbes, Nov 7, 2006.

1. MSM Hobbes macrumors 6502

When purchasing a pair of Mac's for the first time, and to be used for both work and play, what would be the accessories [h/w and/or s/w] that you would like to have in this system? Am looking at two iMac's [17" for family, and 24" for me :p], w/ Verizon internet connection, and means to access the HD from either of the Mac's and/or a PC that we also have. Will also on occasion have my work Gateway laptop in the midst to play too. So, I'm looking for any feedback that would recommend what would be best to connect each computer to the other, to the internet, and other goodies that would just be nice to have. My office is downstairs, the extra PC is also downstairs but in the oldest boy's room, and the family iMac will be upstairs. Thanks!

2. MSM Hobbes thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok,,, just ordered the 24" iMac refurb for me, expected delivery mid part of coming week. My 1st Apple!!! :) Now, just need to decided which of a mac mini or 17" iMac or maybe even macbook for the woman and critters to use.

In anycase, what would be needed to be able to share files in best manner between two different Apples, and possibly the Gateway laptop from work?

3. Queso macrumors G4

A USB hub so that you're not always reaching round the back, and an EyeTV or equivalent :)

Get a wireless router too. Saves running wires between the two locations. I use a Netgear WGR614 which does the job great. If the PC doesn't have a wireless card, locate the router next to it and use ethernet cable into the back of it. The iMacs both have built in wireless.

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

A router with built-in wireless router. Any of the ones on the market should work, just go with a reputable brand and make sure it's 802.11g. Then just network the computers - it's a cinch.

5. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

I would recommend getting a nice new mouse with a few buttons on it. I have a Microsoft Intellimouse which is just great. I use the following software to adapt those buttons for my own personal preference -

Sizzling Keys - controls iTunes. I use a side mouse button to skip tracks and have some quick key combinations set up to pause iTunes/rewind/go forward.

The Intellimouse software allows configuration of the mouse buttons too. I have another side button set up to scroll through open Safari tabs and when I press the scroll wheel button, it activates Show All Windows in Expose. This little trick has made my work much easier and faster.

6. MSM Hobbes thread starter macrumors 6502

Just off the phone w/ Apple... and now soon-to-be proud owner of a new MacBook, the 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, w/ 1GB memory, and 80GB hard drive. :)

So, that plus the iMac - yehaaaaa... :D

Thanks much for the replies - actually, I much prefer thumbwheel mouse, so will be hunting one of those in the near future too.

The router I had purchased a couple weeks ago [on sale @ Radio Shack], was the Netgear 54MBS Wireless Router WGR614, 802.11g [same as dynamicv mentioned].

The two printers that are coming w/ the Apple orders are:
    Canon IP4300 and Canon MP600. $15 for the cords?!?! :eek: 'bah'... but, had to do it.

So, going to be a busy time this coming week... :cool: