Reroute/Divert sound..?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Thrash911, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Thrash911 macrumors 6502

Thrash911

Hey there,

I have my mac hooked up to the stereo all the time. Some times I feel it's not nessesary though, and I have to unplug the sound from the mac.

Isn't it possible via software, to simply tell the computer to use the INTERNAL speakers instead of the external stereo. While the sound cord is still plugged in, of course.

I have tried to find such software for the mac, but with no success. Does it exist somewhere?

2. Thrash911 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thrash911

BUMP..

I have checked VersionTracker, MacUpdate, Iusethis and Google in general.. I cannot find anything like what I'm looking for. Does it really not exist? It seems like such a simple app.. :confused:

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

You may be able to do this in System Preferences, under Sound... if so, that may be why no app exists for this purpose.

4. Thrash911 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thrash911

Hey. Thanks for your reply. ;)

Maybe I should have mentioned this (my own fault), but System Preferences was the first thing I tried. When external speakers are plugged in, I cannot select internal speakers. It just changes, when I unplug/plug in the external speakers. This just doesn't seem very "apple" to me. One should be able to choose, no matter what. But in this case, I guess not..

Therefore, I'm looking for a simple app to take care of this little problem..

5. jroad macrumors member

Check out the free SoundSource, it adds a menu item to easily switch audio ins & outs:
    SoundSource

Regards

6. Thrash911 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thrash911

Thanks a million for your suggestion, jroad. But that did not work either.

But I have been thinking... (yes..) :rolleyes: Is what I am trying to achieve even physically possible? Wil a mini-jack plug not short something out, so the circuit changes? I mean.. The plug wil physically make it impossible to use the internal speakers, because the physical route of the audio signal changes to the plug, when that is being plugged in? I'm thinking I'm right on this one..

I hope that was understandable.. :D Am I not right?

7. slicedbread macrumors regular

I'm surprised soundsource didn't work. What was the effect of switching sources after you installed it? On a mac pro you can switch seamlessly between outputs (line out, USB headset, internal speaker).

But I can't see any electical signal going thru the headphone socket not being physically/electrically incapable of driving another source...?

8. Thrash911 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thrash911

The effect? :) I always only have ONE source to choose. When external speakers are plugged in, it's ONLY the "Headphones" that is on the list to choose from. If I unplug it, it CHANGES to "Internal Speakers" (for SoundSource, I have to refresh the menu first though). I never have both to choose from, which is my whole problem. I have also checked out the "Audio MIDI Setup", but I can't seem to make a difference in there either. I'm on an iMac. SHOULD I be able to choose both sources, when external speakers are plugged in, on an iMac?

9. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

On most Macs, when you plug something into the headphone port, the speakers are physically switched off.

One workaround is to get an external d-a converter like an iMic, or something fancier if that's what floats your boat. Then it will be software selectable.

10. Thrash911 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thrash911

Yes, that was my theory earlier in this thread. I guess I can live with plugging/unplugging the external speakers. I'm pretty sure it is supposed to do what it does, so now it doesn't bother me that much anymore. But if my world should come crashing down, I can get a USB soundcard, like you mentioned.

11. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

It's funny, there have been Mac Pro owners complaining because those don't have the cutoff switches. Apple can't win :D

12. Thrash911 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thrash911

Hehe.. Yeah, well. Apple should then never install the cutoff ones, and then by default make it behave like the cutoffs via software only, but put in a setting for it so it can be changed.. But whatever.. :)

13. Simon Liquid macrumors regular

Are you sure the cutoff has no software control? On my iMac, at least, the startup chime sounds through speakers if my headphones are plugged in so that must bypass it somehow.