Resale/Trade value of a 3rd gen 32g ipod touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by PacSunMama, Dec 18, 2012.

1. PacSunMama, Dec 18, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2012

macrumors newbie

Hi there, I wanted to see if any of you have an opinion or advice for me. I recently won a 3rd gen 32gb ipod touch and otterbox defender case for it. It's all still new in the package. I like it, but the thing is that my husband and I already both have (and use) iPhones, and our son plays with our old iPhone 3gs when he feels like it.

I was thinking about listing it on our local Craigslist, but I don't want to sell it- I wanted to see if I could trade anybody for an iPad (which is what I really want!) Do you think this is even feasible? I don't know... wwyd?

2. thread starter macrumors newbie

Almost 600 views (apparently?) and not a response? Hrmmm.... well I will try to be patient! :p

3. SnowLeopard OSX, Dec 18, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2012

macrumors 6502a

SnowLeopard OSX

4. macrumors 68000

mofunk

See what they sell for on Apple's Refurbish section. And Price $20 cheaper.

The reason no one has answered cause it's an easy click and check there. and on everymac.com

5. macrumors newbie

The 2nd gen no longer has any iOS updates and the 3rd gen will follow in the same situation sooner than later.

Unless I'm not familiar with a 'well know fact' that would make the 3rd gen less likely to soon go 'obsolete' as did my current 2nd gen ... I personally would not spend over 100$ for a device that will become obsolete in the near future.

Even then, given that I can now spend 3x as much money on an IPT5 that would give me 3x (and more) 'ROI' ... I'd probably invest that 100$ along with two more on the IPT5.

Having said that, you'll probably find a person with a different view on this who'll be willing to pay between 100$ and 150$ or more if they really don't know much about the market for iPods.

Good luck.

6. macrumors 601

Plutonius

The newest IOS does not run on the 3rd gen (i.e. no more IOS updates for the 3rd gen).

7. macrumors 6502

If I won it and didn't need it, I'd give it away to someone for free. Give someone a little joy.

8. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! I actually may do this.

I did look around for pricing but was only finding retail pricing for 4th gen and newer, everything else like eBay was alll over the place. It's in new condition- still packaged and sealed.

Thank you!

9. macrumors demi-god

firedept

Just sold a 4th Gen 64 GB for $250. Apple sells the refurb 64 for $299. I would think $175 would be on the high end. More reasonable would be $100-125.

10. macrumors 6502

Sites like Gazzelle are only offering about 50 for an untouched one, so about 100 or so. The 3rd gen doesn't actually have much to recommend it, not with the 4 in the market. No camera, no mic (without add-on), and now outside its support life. Gazzelle is trying to sell a 64 GB 4th gen for 180 so.... that should give you some idea.

And no, you'll never get anyone to trade an iPad 1 for and iPod Touch 3rd gen.

11. macrumors regular

I just sold my like new, perfect condition 3rd Gen 64gb for $200.