Research Paper

Discussion in 'Community' started by *Y*, Mar 22, 2005.

1. *Y* macrumors regular

Oct 19, 2004
    Hey Guys,
    I am finnaly doing a research paper on "it is now possible to replace cash with electronic money. Do any of you know of any sites or materials about e-money, especially its history. Thanks.
  2. mactastic macrumors 68040

Apr 24, 2003
    Dunno, but one of my favorite restaurants here accepts only cash or a local check. Until they change that, I'll still need cash!
  3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    i would talk to someone from japan... isn't the yen almost entirely on smartcards now?
  4. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Make sure you look at what people are doing with mobile phones in Japan/Europe. It's not all about cards.

Scandinavia has vending machines that you text what you want to, and the item is charged to your phone bill.

Incidentally, while I agree that cash is going out of fashion for bills more than £10, there's still isn't a good system for low cost items. For many things under £1, the cost of processing the charge would be prohibitive.

Oystercards in London and other major cities do mean that you can traverse the transport system without cash and is clever enough to 'cap' the maximum daily charge if appropriate. If they could get the station newsagents etc to accept this as a form of cash for newspapers etc, it would be good. Then again, since the entire London Oyster system crashed during rush hour a couple of weeks ago, perhaps not!
  5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    In 1995, trials of a electronic cash system were piloted in Swindon, UK.

This was called Mondex and was by most accounts a failure.

I would start by checking out Wikipedia and its links.

Then try googling Mondex and e-cash

Here's also an article that may be of interest.
  6. themadchemist macrumors 68030

Jan 31, 2003
    Chi Town
    You might use the evolution of the stock market as a case study. I'm fuzzy on this stuff, but I'm pretty sure you can dig up relevant material on how things moved toward electronic trading and transactions largely on paper only.
  7. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Mar 28, 2003
    How'd I get here? How can I leave?
    There will always be a need for a form of hard currency for exchange of goods and services.
    There are still a hell of a lot of technologically challenged people out there.
    Maybe we'll see something more accepted and established in 2 more generations or so.
  8. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003

You should look at Switzerland at least for your counter example which cash society basically. Everyone uses ATM's, but most *locals* pay in cash.
  9. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Jan 13, 2005
    I would agree. Plus for me, I like the feel of a big roll of cash in my pocket. Not quit the same feeling having a piece of plastic in my pocket. But maybe in a few generations people will slowly get more used to it and it will just be the accepted way to do things. Tough to do right now though.