Researcher: Hitler was a tax dodger

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Xtremehkr, Dec 17, 2004.

1. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Link

Everything for me, nothing for you.

2. brap macrumors 68000

3. Xtremehkr thread starter macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

I'm wondering the if there are common traits found in those with Dictatorial tendencies.

4. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Since a dictator, by definition, is "a ruler unconstrained by the law", they obviously have that feature in common.

Are you implying something regarding Bush? If so, say what you mean.

otherwise...meh.

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I think that much is obvious. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck...

In other words, Bush acts like a dictator.

6. pdham macrumors member

Yea, it is called the Authoritarian Personality. It was developed by Adorno et. al. in response to their bewilderment that masses of people could follow a leader like Hitler. The actual theory they created represents characteristics of those that follow dictators not the dictators themselves, but you could assume some of the same qualities must be present in both. They also developed what is called the Facism-Scale (or f-scale) that is a set of questions to root out the probability of someone holding this personality. The f-scale was revised in 1988 by a guy named Altemeyer. I will see if I c an find any links to stuff dealing with this. It is important to remember that sociologists and social psychologists believe that the ability to rise to the power of dictator and the blind following of one is an inherant personality feature, not an ideology.

Paul

I found a list of the Authortarian Personality Characteristics. Again this isnt meant to label a leader but followers... still interesting though. If you want more info just search Authoritarian Personality and Adorno in Google.

Conventionalism
    Rigid adherence to conventional, middle-class values

Authoritarian submission
    Submissive, uncritical attitude toward idealized moral authorities of the in-group

Authoritarian aggression
    Tendency to be on the lookout for, and to condemn, reject, and punish people who violate conventional values

Anti-intraception
    Opposition to the subjective, the imaginative, the tender-minded

Superstition and stereotypy
    the belief in mystical determinants of the individual's fate; the disposition to think in rigid categories

Power and 'toughness'
    Preoccupation with the dominance-submission, strong-weak, leader-follower dimension; identification with power figures; overemphasis upon the conventionalized attributes of the ego; exaggerated assertion of strength and toughness

Destructiveness and cynicism
    Generalized hostility, vilification of the human

Projectivity
    The disposition to believe that wild and dangerous things go on in the world; the projection of unconscious emotional impulses

Sex
    Exaggerated concern with sexual 'goings-on'

7. Xtremehkr thread starter macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Well, that's interesting. Thanks for the information.