Reseller Shortages Hint at Forthcoming Update for 15-Inch MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 10, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

As noted by AppleInsider, third-party resellers are beginning to experience shortages of Apple's 15-inch MacBook Pro, hinting that a refresh may be coming in the near future.
    Apple's own online store is not yet showing any delays in fulfilling orders, but the company prioritizes its own distribution channels over third-party resellers, meaning that shortages generally show up first at those resellers.

[​IMG]

Apple has been said to be ramping up production of new 15-inch MacBook Pro models carrying a thinner form factor, with Intel's rumored April 29 debut of quad-core mobile Ivy Bridge processors undoubtedly driving that timeline.

With dual-core Ivy Bridge processors not launching until early June, it seems that Apple may not be launching upgraded 13-inch MacBook Pro models until that time. As for the 17-inch MacBook Pro, AppleInsider had previously claimed that Apple was likely to use a staggered rollout of the new MacBook Pro form factor, with the 17-inch model not receiving an update until perhaps several months after the smaller models.

Article Link: Reseller Shortages Hint at Forthcoming Update for 15-Inch MacBook Pro

2. macrumors regular

It's about time! I'm very interested to see what this update brings.

3. macrumors 68030

waloshin

15" MacBook Pro Air why do we need a 13" MacBook Pro Air when we already have the 13" MacBook Air.

4. macrumors member

Very Exciting, I can't wait to see where they go with the new mac lineup. I need a new mac pretty bad and have been holding out for the latest greatest!

5. macrumors newbie

I'm just waiting for the new ones to come out so I can get my first mac. My backlight died on my HP laptop and I hate having to use an external monitor.

6. applefanDrew, Apr 10, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2012

macrumors 65816

Delete

7. macrumors 65816

It looks like the 15" MBP will be the first of a refresh of the entire Mac lineup. It should be a good guide as what to expect. Will we see Retina? I hope so.

8. macrumors 6502a

Last update wasn't too long ago... I wonder if this soon of a refresh is legit.

9. macrumors 603

appleguy123

I have a 13" Air that I'm very happy with, so the only one I'm interested in is the 17" to replace my 2009 version.

10. macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

Yes yes yes YES YES

11. macrumors 6502a

I anxiously waiting to see what changes are in store. Hopefully it will be a substantial change and not just incremental improvements

12. macrumors member

I am most curious to see what they do with the 17in model. Its hard to imagine a MacBook air styled 17in

13. macrumors 604

bushido

get rid of the superdrive and put in a bad ass battery to power the retina display (wishful thinking) ^^

it would be the perfect murder weapon

14. macrumors P6

Peace

Be careful what you wish for.
    ;)

15. macrumors regular

I am more than ready to upgrade from my 15" 10/08 MBP. It has served me well, but now it's time!

16. macrumors 65816

Frankied22

I really hope they release them this month. Right now all I have to use is my iPhone and a new iPad. Come on I want a 15" MBP!!!!

17. macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

Why is everyone so against the 13" Macbook Pro?
    I love the 13" Macbook Pro. I would rather have a 13" Macbook Pro than a 13" Macbook Air. :(

Or a 15" and 17" too for that matter.

18. macrumors 6502

iThink Apple

So about how much longer now since we are starting to see OUT OF STOCK's?

19. macrumors 604

bushido

same, 13 is the perfect size. 15 is already too big to carry around for me

20. djl
    macrumors newbie

Still running an '06 core 2 duo 17" MBP. Ivy Bridge is very tempting... :)

21. macrumors newbie

Yes!

Very excited about the refresh! I just hope they don't make it too much like the air. I would rather have more power and storage then reduced thickness. If I wanted an air, I would buy an air.

22. macrumors G5

nagromme

Just make it thin/light enough so that if you do need the external SuperDrive, at least you’re not lugging much more than you used to!

(I’ve used MB Airs as my primary machine since the first 2008 model, and have never needed an optical drive. AirDrive has been enough—and I use it maybe once a year. To watch library DVDs, I’d need one—but I have another DVD player for that. As for mobile movie-watching, lugging a scratchable disc is the wrong answer!)

23. macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Please Lord, let there be an anti-glare option.

24. macrumors 65816

Come on...where the 'Shut up and take my money photo'...and no I'm not posting it.
    I can see this issue with a desktop, but you have a laptop...it's movable...

Move
    away
    from
    the
    window

25. macrumors regular

Apple makes computers still? Macrumors covers rumors about non iOS related products?!