Reselling with Apple Care

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mac1984user, May 8, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502a

mac1984user

I'm thinking of selling my 2011 13" MBP soon, which has a full three-year Apple Care warranty. Will the party purchasing my computer be able to benefit from that Apple Care or is it tied to the original buyer? So...if I were to auction my computer on eBay, would it be fair to list it as having Apple Care coverage until February 2014? Thanks!

2. macrumors 68030

It'll apply to whomever has the laptop in their possession :) - it's tied to the serial number. And yeah, list that on eBay. I'd personally be more inclined to make a higher bid knowing it's covered by Apple currently.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

mac1984user

Thanks for the advice. I'll do it as soon as the new MacBook Pros are announced. Hoping for an HD screen in the 13".

4. macrumors 68030

Spink10

AppleCare may be the best feature of a used MBP - provides security.

5. macrumors regular

Might not make a huge difference but it's generally better to sell your stuff just BEFORE a product line is updated.

As soon as new ones are announced the value of all current ones drops. Ideally you want to sell to someone who isn't aware a refresh is possibly days/weeks away.

The downside of course is you might have to go some time without a laptop while you wait for the refresh.