Reservation System Announced for Upcoming 'Mailbox' Email App

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 23, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Orchestra, Inc. has announced a reservation system for Mailbox, its task-orientated email app which we reported on earlier and which has received many pre-launch accolades from tech sites.

[​IMG]
    Mailbox, which will initially be compatible only with Gmail, aims to keep your inbox clean by allowing you to use swipe gestures to quickly move each email out of your inbox by deleting it, archiving it, assigning it a category or - perhaps most interestingly - setting it to pop back into your inbox later.

[​IMG]
    When you sign up to reserve your copy of the free app, Orchestra sends you a text message with your reservation number, together with a code. Once the app is available for download, you'll need to enter your code to complete the download.

Business Insider observes that Orchestra has an interesting link to Apple: one of the company's software engineers is Adam Cue, son of Apple Senior Vice President Eddy Cue, who is responsible for iCloud services - including email. Business Insider suggests that the relationship is likely to put Mailbox on Apple's radar as a potential acquisition, but it is unclear whether Apple has any actual interest in Orchestra's ideas for email management.

Article Link: Reservation System Announced for Upcoming 'Mailbox' Email App

2. macrumors 604

bushido

"u reserve a copy" since when is an app limited on the appstore and "on high demand" lol

sounds like data fishing to me

3. macrumors member

rampancy

And how long will it be before this app goes the same way as Sparrow?

4. macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Not sure if it will replace Mail app for me but I'm quite curious. Signed up yesterday #

----------

It is about being able to scale. With a reservation system they can scale properly since they can know exactly how many are using it.

5. justperry, Jan 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2013

macrumors 603

justperry

They don't ask for email, they ask for a telephone number and mine is prepaid so is there anything to loose??

-------

Does not work for where I am,got no SMS from them even though they say it's international.

6. macrumors 6502a

I have actually been waiting for this since it was announced on here. It looks interesting and perhaps a new way to pursue mail.

I did notice a few people were reluctant to welcome it because of Orchestra's servers or something to that affect. I have never dealt with any products from Orchestra, so I am not sure what to think.

7. macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

I'm at about #174,000 . . . sounds like a lot of sign ups.

8. macrumors member

Yeah, they must be. I signed up 15 minutes before you (based on your post time) and I'm 173,097. That's 1,000 sign-ups in 15 minutes??? :eek:

9. macrumors 603

justperry

I tried 3-4 times and I got nothing so you might move up to 173,093.:eek:

10. macrumors 6502

Well I'm #175,839. Guess it's going to be a long wait.

11. macrumors member

Is anybody else getting the "Either your phone number is invalid or we're under heavy load" message? I've been trying for 15 minutes.

As I'm in Canada I'm using the + then the 11 digits of my phone number.
    IE: +1 ### ### #### only with no spaces. Is it supposed to be in another format?

12. macrumors regular

Amazing! So why is this being mentioned on Mac Rumours? Oh so it can get more interest for Adam Cue maybe? Mmmm not a conspiracy theory surely? Daddy look what I have made could you get your company to buy it? Split it 50/50??

13. macrumors 603

justperry

+62 XXXXXXX... is also not working, I only get a thanks but no SMS.

14. macrumors member

On Twitter they're saying the SMS are taking a while due to volume. You got a confirmation that your number was accepted though?

15. macrumors 603

justperry

Just get a thanks and then the popup window disappears, that's it.

Might be because of the country I am in.

16. macrumors 6502a

sawah

I just signed up and got my text message right away.

17. macrumors newbie

Lucky number 178310

18. macrumors regular

I am 175,030. Got my text within a minute or two. When is this app rumored to arrive?

19. macrumors member

So I've been trying this whole time on my desktop at work. Just tried on my phone and got an SMS instantly.

20. macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Doesnt work for me either right now. I get the same message. I have a US #.

21. macrumors 68020

Same here and I'm in the U.S. too. I'll try back again later.

22. macrumors 6502a

verniesgarden

I feel special, I'm at #95,493

23. macrumors 65816

This is the most overhyped app I've ever seen. I do not think it looks very innovative or useful, all of your e-mail gets routed through their server, and it only works with gmail. Yet, every time Mailbox's developers sneeze the tech bloggers are all over it, tweeting rapturous praise.

And this "reservation system" seems very suspicious. Give them your phone number? I don't think so! This is a piece of software. Spin up more servers if you have too much demand. If they can't quickly respond to user load, their architecture was badly designed. The tech press should be slamming them for this, but again it's all fairy dust and rainbows.

24. macrumors 68040

bigjnyc

There's no way I am giving these guys my phone number. what kind of a horse and pony show is this for an app? why not just launch it normally in the app store like any other app?

25. macrumors 604

iJon

Does anybody know yet if this works with general IMAP servers besides gmail?

If I can't browse my iCloud account alongside my Google Apps account then this app is pointless for me.