Reset OS X to factory condition

Discussion in 'OS X' started by BCT, Jan 27, 2006.

1. BCT
    macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I've tried a few searches and haven't been able to find a answer. I have a Dual Core G5 2.0GHz I have just sold. I am going to format and re-install OS X. How can I install it so when the buyer turns it on it will play the welcome movie and ask all the questions - registration etc. The same way it was when I first turned it on.

Is there a way to do this with OS X? I've done this with sysprep on windows xp, so I guess there is a way to do it on OS X.

Thank you

2. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Put the system restore DVD in the drive. Open System Preferences, and go to startup disc. Select the restore DVD, and click the restart button in the prefs pane. When it boots back up, you will get the option to install OS X. One of the first few windows should have an options button, probably in the lower left. If you click this, you will get several options to erase the HD before re-writing the OS onto it.

Be forewarned that the multipass overwrite method takes a LOOOOONG time. Probably by about a factor of five vs. what you're guessing it would. :(

3. macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Long time is right ;) Not sure I'd do it again but if you have the time it's a good idea, just go have dinner and see a show, then check back :cool:

4. macrumors 65816

stridey

And here's instructions for making the "welcome" screen appear upon next reboot.

5. BCT
    thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all very much for the fast answers!

Helps a lot. ^-^