Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
Long time no see folks,

I've been using this RocketRaid 2300 controller with a 4x2TB RAID 5 array for about 2 years now. This February the card reported that drive 4 failed; at that time I didn't have access to the server, so I just came and replaced the hard drive with a brand new one.

To my surprise, the old drive was perfectly fine with no errors and good SMART data. It was not corrupt at all, and after reformatting I am using the thing as if it were new.

I added the new 2TB drive to the array and let it rebuild. It has been 2 weeks since, and so far it has had 1000+ reallocated sectors and hundreds of bad sectors reported by the card. The 2300 rebuilt the array 4 times over. Noting that this only happened with channel 4, I suspect that the controller went bust.

I now use SoftRAID. It reads the horrible sector counts and complains that the drive is failing. However, unlike the RR2300 it has not encountered a single i/o error in the 3 days that it has been running.

If I can confirm 100% that the fault was with the RR2300 and the hard drive SMART data is skewed, is there a way for me to reset or edit the data?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.