Reset system fonts?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rgx, Sep 11, 2005.

1. rgx macrumors newbie

rgx

Is there a way to reset the system fonts in Tiger? My friend's Safari began replacing displayed fonts with others and I think the problem may now be with her fonts. She's tried clearing safari cache, and reinstalling. Now it's happening in FireFox too. I attached a screenshot she gave me taken in Safari.

Attached Files:

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Make sure he hasn't deleted any of the fonts he shouldn't have from the essential system font list. Or installed any new fonts that (somehow) override those.

Also, have you tried a simple solution like repairing permissions...?

3. rgx thread starter macrumors newbie

rgx

She hasn't installed any of her own fonts and ran disk permissions which did not solve the problem.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Weird. Just out of interest, in Safari preferences, does the Appearance tab look like this?

Attached Files:

5. rgx thread starter macrumors newbie

rgx

yep, first thing I had her check. Looks like there are some mysterious fonts that have taken over some defaults. When she goes to type arial it's one of the culprits. Going to help her find them and delete them. She recently installed MS Office which might have tweaked something.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Possibly. There's a known issue if you have the Office Test Drive installed and you then install the actual Office apps. However, I doubt this is the cause in this case. Nevertheless, it may be worthwhile checking for that. Good luck with the fonts. :)

7. rgx thread starter macrumors newbie

rgx

Well a folder with a couple thousand fonts randomly showed up. Deleted it and it's working perfect. ;)

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew