Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

the1payday

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
Amarillo, TX
Is it possible to reset/restart the Finder? I've been having problems with the finder window automatically opening when I start up my computer.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
There are ways to reset the Finder but that's probably not going to help... Check your Login Items in System Preferences for anything that may be causing this. Also check a folder named StartupItems to see if it lists anything that'll be making Finder show on startup.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
That happens to me if I leave the finder window open when I turn off my computer. Maybe that's your problem. I know it seems obvious, but it took me a while to figure it out.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
davidg4781, if you're talking about sleep mode then the machine will come back with everything on the screen in the same position you left it in before putting it to sleep. Shutting down a Mac with a Finder window open shouldn't mean it starts with the Finder window up though.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Yes, I understand how the sleep function works, and that it leaves everything where it is.

I just tried it now, and it worked like I said. I had a bunch of apps open, along with a Finder window. I shut down using the shortcut keys, and turned it back on. Everything was closed except a Finder window, and I don't even think it was where I left it.

Maybe mine's messed up too, but I never thought so. I just have to remember to close the Finder window before shutting down, or close it after it starts back up.

I noticed this first when installing software that needed restarting.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
Last week, there were a few times when Finder opened windows that were in use when I initiated a shutdown. This was right after I finally updated QuickTime and iTunes along with a printer/scanner installation and uninstallation. After a couple of shutdown & boot cycles, everything seems to be back to normal. It was a bit annoying when it was happening though.

Actually, I should check it again to make sure it is really gone. I usually close all windows before shutdown, so I may not have noticed it if it started happening again.

ghking

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2007
you can relaunch the finder by hitting option-command-escape and selecting Finder and clicking Relaunch. But i dont know if this will help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.