reset the finder?

Discussion in 'OS X' started by the1payday, Sep 2, 2007.

1. macrumors regular

the1payday

Is it possible to reset/restart the Finder? I've been having problems with the finder window automatically opening when I start up my computer.

2. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

There are ways to reset the Finder but that's probably not going to help... Check your Login Items in System Preferences for anything that may be causing this. Also check a folder named StartupItems to see if it lists anything that'll be making Finder show on startup.

3. macrumors 68000

davidg4781

That happens to me if I leave the finder window open when I turn off my computer. Maybe that's your problem. I know it seems obvious, but it took me a while to figure it out.

4. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

davidg4781, if you're talking about sleep mode then the machine will come back with everything on the screen in the same position you left it in before putting it to sleep. Shutting down a Mac with a Finder window open shouldn't mean it starts with the Finder window up though.

5. macrumors 68000

davidg4781

Yes, I understand how the sleep function works, and that it leaves everything where it is.

I just tried it now, and it worked like I said. I had a bunch of apps open, along with a Finder window. I shut down using the shortcut keys, and turned it back on. Everything was closed except a Finder window, and I don't even think it was where I left it.

Maybe mine's messed up too, but I never thought so. I just have to remember to close the Finder window before shutting down, or close it after it starts back up.

I noticed this first when installing software that needed restarting.

6. macrumors 68020

theBB

Last week, there were a few times when Finder opened windows that were in use when I initiated a shutdown. This was right after I finally updated QuickTime and iTunes along with a printer/scanner installation and uninstallation. After a couple of shutdown & boot cycles, everything seems to be back to normal. It was a bit annoying when it was happening though.

Actually, I should check it again to make sure it is really gone. I usually close all windows before shutdown, so I may not have noticed it if it started happening again.

7. macrumors regular

ghking

you can relaunch the finder by hitting option-command-escape and selecting Finder and clicking Relaunch. But i dont know if this will help.